Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #1

by Debbie Hodge

Hi and welcome! I’m really glad you’re spending  time with me and these lessons. I love thinking about making scrapbook pages—combining photos, stories, and cool product to make a record of the life I’m living with family and friends.

I found that once I understood layout design principles AND the essential parts of any page and how they relate to one another, scrapbooking got easier and more fun.

The 12 lessons in “Where Scrapbook Ideas Come From” include this survey lesson, then 6 that cover the design principles important to making layouts, and then 5 more on what I consider primary parts of a scrapbook page.

Click here to open Lesson 01

Did you find this page via an online search or a link from a friend?

This lesson is part of a 12-lesson course called “Design Principles for Scrapbook Pages.” Click here for the complete class.

When you’re a member at GIS, you get a new class the first Wednesday of every month. And you can pop in on a live webinar event every week — or listen to the recording later. Try a free membership today.

freetoolswarrow

171 Responses to Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #1

1. Bettyann Schmidt May 13, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

I already love this class. I want to put more emphasis on “design” in my layouts, and I can see this is exactly what I need. Thank you a bunch!

2. cristina tronco May 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm #

hey! I actually have read about design principles before. But you made an awsome, clear, brief, and illustrative class here!

It helped me to fresh up all the knowlege and build new ones!

Really enjoyed the way you write, and consider it really easy to follow and understand!

thanks for the class… cant wait for the next lesson!

3. Patricia May 15, 2010 at 12:26 am #

Thank you very informative and a great briefing on each area! Looking forward to the next lesson!

4. Christine Duff May 15, 2010 at 8:12 am #

I cannot believe all the time and work you put into your free classes. You rock! Thanks for all the great tips and I can’t wait for the next lesson.

5. Valerie May 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Great review of the basics! Can’t wait to see the next lesson-thanks!

6. Mariangeles_Spain May 16, 2010 at 8:44 am #

I read this lesson and #2 last night during my double shift :) Thanks for making it better :)

I think I’m going to enjoy these lessons a lot.

7. zizellitsa May 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

That was very interesting!! I am new in scrapbooking so lessons are very helpfull!! Cant wait for the 2nd.

• Debbie Hodge May 17, 2010 at 8:41 am #

I’m so glad you found us and that the lessons are helpful. I know I loved learning about design when I first discovered it.

8. Orsi May 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm #

Thank you for the lesson. I am starting yet, I am glad that I may study very much!

9. Bobbi May 21, 2010 at 10:19 am #

So much to think about! I started scrapbooking about two years ago — every once in awhile I make a page that I’m thrilled with, but I never know exactly why. You explain things so clearly and give such great examples. . .I have high hopes that I’ll be able to make lots more pages I love and to know how and why.

Thanks!

10. RobinJ May 22, 2010 at 8:54 am #

I’ve subscribed to receive these lessons and I want to say thanks! I’ve been scrapping for almost 4 yrs and I am always searching to learn more on this craft that I’ve become passionate about. This first lesson was informative and has reinforced principles that I think I instinctively apply to my LOs. Again thanks and I look forward to my next lesson. I’d love for you to stop by my blog and have a look! Hugs, RobinJ

11. Ricki May 22, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

What a great beginning lesson. Waiting for class #2 to come. I am just a beginner in this scrapebooking art and am really interested in learning as much as possible. Thank you.

• Debbie Hodge May 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

I’m glad you found our site — I know I loved learning about design both as a beginner and even now.

12. Lori May 22, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

This is a great start to what I’m sure will be a great class. You have a wonderful way with words and your examples are a great support to what you are teaching.

Great job!

13. Carole M May 24, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

I read most of the first lesson, it was very informative, however, it was not what I expected to read. The lesson is great for someone who has just started to get into scrapbooking and not for someone who has done it for several years. I had a hard time focusing on reading the whole thing as it did not pertain to the kinds of information that I am looking for. Perhaps the future lessons will eventually touch on the topics that are for the more advanced scrapper. I will let some of my friends who are new to scrapping know about your informational lessons on scrapping and it may be of more help to them, considering that I cannot always be with them all the time.

Sincerely,
    Carole M.

• Debbie Hodge May 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Hi, Carole, Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave a message. Do you know what kind of info you’re looking for? I totally understand if you don’t — if you’re looking for someone to bring on some big guns you don’t even know exist. But if you do know what you’d like to learn, I’d love to hear. I have several projects underway right now. Debbie

14. Elizabeth Kimbel May 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I am not a beginner scrapper either, but I rarely design my own page. I do better scraplifting or following instructions. The problem with that is…I may not have the right pics for the layout or enough/too little to do the page(s)!! So, I’m hoping to glean some great info in making my own! I’ve studied this topic before, but you have simplified it and I love that the first class was easy to read and you reviewed everything that we’re going to be studying!!! Thank you so much and especially for offering it for FREE!!! This is the first online class I’ve ever done!

15. Chris May 24, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

Have scrapped for years and many of the elements you explained (quite clearly and explicitly), I do intuitively. However I tend to scraplift a lot and would love to have the confidence to design. As to the elements, I would guess that flow is my weakest area

16. Melanie May 28, 2010 at 7:02 pm #

The information in this lesson was fantastic and overwhelming at the same time. As a beginner with no natural artistic ability, scrapbooking is simply frustrating, not fun. The more information I receive, the better. Thank you.

17. Lena May 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm #

I really appreciate all this work you do and info you provide in this free class lessons!Can’t wait to see the 2nd! Thank you!

18. MariaZ May 29, 2010 at 11:26 pm #

Dear Debbie,

I am an absolutely fresh new fish in the scrap-pond. I have not yet made my own scrapping but I have seen all of your scrappings and I am thrilled. I hope that you will mention all the necessary tools (cause I am starting from scratch). I found a link from a friend “scrapper” and I thought that it would be great to try and make my own scrappings.
    Please be patient with me as I do not have the slightest idea about this excellent hobby, but I am a very good student and as I can understand, you’re an excellent teacher. Thank you so much for these lessons

19. Cal June 1, 2010 at 5:33 am #

Hi there,
    I guess I am a little late joining n with this. I spotted a post about this free course over on Twitter and headed over here to sign up. I’m not a newbie scrapper but I think it is always invaluable to read about techniques etc from anothers perspective. I’m looking forward to looking at layouts I have already done that have worked (and not!!) and looking at why that may be. I am also looking forward to creating more pages with these things in mind. Thanks Debbie!

20. Rosa June 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm #

Hi,
    I found this class because Ali Edwards tweeted about it. I am really eager to find out about the design concepts, specially new ways to use alignment and canvas on my pages. It seems that I am stuck using photo-collages because they work for me, but I am getting bored :(
    look forward to get my next class!!!

21. Jessica June 3, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Great info, thanks for the free class. I have been scrapbooking for years and alwasy seem to get in a layout rut. Trying to get out! Can’t wait to see what is in the next class.

22. Kim Faucher June 4, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

Love the idea of the tree analogy… so true.. I spend either wayyy too much time in the leaves and branches and forget some of the basic foundation skills to keep it together (from the solid trunk)
    This is a great and unique view!!

23. Angie W June 4, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Hi Debbie!

Thanks for a clear overview of the design principles! I have read some about each before, but not all in one place. I also really appreciate the examples because I am such a visual learner. Can’t wait to see the next one!

Angie

24. Marsha June 4, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Thanks for the great information-lookin forward to reading the rest. Been scrappin’ for awhile not & am just now understanding some of these design principles you talk about-can’t wait to explore them further!

25. Nancy June 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm #

Great I found the course and looking forward to getting my teeth in to it.

26. Jean Marmo June 4, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

Hi Debbie,

I also have been scrapping for some time, but I love the opportunity to review your lessons and see what I can improve. I probably do some things correctly without knowing why. This will definitely make me think more which is always good. And help when i tend to struggle.

Thank you!

Jean

• Debbie Hodge June 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

Thanks for the note! Looking forward to seeing where this class takes you.

27. Deanie June 5, 2010 at 4:15 am #

Hi Debbie – thanks so much for these lessons. I am exactly the same as Elizabeth Kimbel who left a message on 24 May. Your lessons will get us both (all) heading in the right direction I am sure. Cant wait!

28. Kathy June 5, 2010 at 9:22 am #

What a wonderful overview! Love the analogy of the tree …. so very true. I am so looking forward to the future lessons. Your explanations and use of visual examples is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us so freely.

• Debbie Hodge June 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

you’re welcome! glad you’re joining in.

29. Jill P June 5, 2010 at 11:46 pm #

I tried to add the png about this class but it’s too bid. Anyway to get it resized for us?

30. Jill P June 6, 2010 at 8:07 pm #

What I want to do is add the “Where scrapbooking ideas come from” to my signature. But it is too big. Can it be made smaller for us.

• Debbie Hodge June 13, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

Hi, Jill! Great Idea — I’ll put one up in the sidebar right now. Thanks for asking. Debbie —

31. Karen June 7, 2010 at 6:56 pm #

Thank you so much for providing this information for free. Even though I’ve been scrapbooking for ten years, I’m always looking for ways to speed up my design process and refine my technique and learn new one! Thanks again!

• Debbie Hodge June 13, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

i agree – i’m always looking to learn something new.

32. Verbena June 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm #

Enjoyed the first lesson. I had previously taken a class that included design principles for scrapbooking. Your lesson was a great, succinct review of the principles.

33. Jill P June 13, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

I love learning more about digi scrapbooking.
    Thanks for the badge for the class but I can’t get it to show up.

34. Myrto June 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm #

It is the first time I take a class in scrapbooking although I deal with the “sport” for six months now. It looks interesting and I am looking forward for the rest of the lessons.

35. Donna S June 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Thank you for the first lesson. I found the link to this site on Hummie’s World through her Facebook page. I am new to scrapbooking and am interested in designing digital elements. Your first lesson has me thinking about changes to several pages I created this weekend. I need to hurry and redo them tonight. Cannot wait for the next lesson.

• Debbie Hodge June 22, 2010 at 8:33 am #

yay! love hearing that the lesson got the gears turning for you.

36. Jamee Romano July 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I just received my “Welcome” email for the scrapbooking class. I am just starting to scrapbook and could use some help. I have no idea where to begin! I’m so excited and looking forward to the rest of the class emails!

37. Trudy Lee July 10, 2010 at 9:52 am #

I found this course through a pick from “Paper Clipping” and I’m glad I did.
    I have been scrapping for a while now, everything I have learned on my own through trial and error. After reading the introduction, I now can understand why some of my pages were so visually pleasing and why others were not. I have no training in design, but after taking these lessons feel I will overcome the struggle of “Why doesn’t this feel right” when creating a new page.
    I can’t wait for the lessons to come through my email. Thank You, Thank You so much!

• Debbie Hodge July 11, 2010 at 8:51 am #

you’re welcome — and I totally “get” what you mean —and it turns out this isn’t hard stuff to master — you just need someone to tell you what to look for.

38. Glenys July 12, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

Hi Debbie,

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial. It has changed how I will scrap in the future (I’ve only just finished lesson one!)
    In future I will ask myself questions before I begin scrapping. I always felt there was something missing – now I know what – Design!
    Good luck to me!
    Can’t wait for number two.

Many Thanks
    Glenys

• Debbie Hodge July 14, 2010 at 8:03 am #

Yay! Love your excitement (and recognize that feeling :) )

39. debi July 13, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

Thanks for this lesson, this a first for me. It was very imformative, and I am looking forward to the next one.

• Debbie Hodge July 14, 2010 at 8:02 am #

You’re welcome! Glad you’re participating.

40. Wenche Sterling July 29, 2010 at 9:49 pm #

Hi there! This is one of my first tutorials. I have been doing traditional scrap booking for several years, but am only about 2 months old when it comes to digital scrap booking! The concept of flow is new to me. Great explanations of the different principles, and looking forward to the next lesson. Thank you for offering them to us for free!

41. Joni Gray August 4, 2010 at 5:39 pm #

Hi, I found a link to you on the Daily Digi and I just want to thank you for providing this information for free. I’ve been digi-scrapping for several years now and I even design my own scrapbook supplies, but I’m always looking for new ways to refine my technique and learn new ones! Thank you for this informative lesson. Looking forward to #2
    Joni

• Debbie Hodge August 5, 2010 at 8:34 am #

Hi, Joni, thanks for the email. So glad you’re taking the class.

42. grambie August 7, 2010 at 6:53 pm #

I also found your class through The Daily Digi and want to extend my thanks and appreciation for sharing your knowledge so will freely. I know that these classes will greatly assist me in the organization of my digital layouts. (I am sorry it took me so long to respond, but the earphones for my speaking software broke.)

• Debbie Hodge August 9, 2010 at 8:11 am #

thanks for the note! looking foward to seeing what you create.

43. AJoy August 8, 2010 at 1:05 am #

I have been scrapping for about a year. Some of my LOs I love, and others, not so much. I mostly use others LOs as inspiration but would love to come up with my own, unique ideas. I am a type-a personality and it’s killing me that I have to always look for inspiration.

Thanks for all your wonderful information. I can’t believe you put in so much time on this! You are wonderful!

• Debbie Hodge August 9, 2010 at 8:10 am #

Thanks, AJoy — I’m a type A-er myself — my class Building Pages is a a really great resource for type-As who want to learn how to do it themselves.

44. Susan Rowsey August 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Hi Debbie,
    So glad to find your site that focuses on scrapbooking. I also do cardmaking and there are many sites for that but there doesn’t seem to be as many for scrapbooking. I am always torn between making cards and scrapbooking. I am so behind in scrapbooking and I need a push and I am thinking that a review of the basics and new ideas from you may just get me started so I can catch up. I have been scrapbooking for almost 12 years but I know there are times in those years that I did nothing so it has not been a continuous 12 yrs. Looking forward to the other lessons. Thank you for your work on this site and your willingness to share and help.

• Debbie Hodge August 9, 2010 at 8:09 am #

Hi, Susan, So glad you’ve found th site. It’s tough when you’ve got so many things you want to create!

45. PatriciaD August 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

wow, thanks for a free lesson. I’m not all that new to scrapbooking either but sometimes it’s good to go back and review why you do the things you do and what works and what doesn’t. Cool analogy with the tree…can I use that?

46. Chris C August 18, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

I finally found time to check out Lesson #1! I’m home sick with a cold and reading this is making me feel better already!!

• Debbie Hodge August 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

So sorry to hear you’re sick — but glad I’ve got some medicine for you :)

47. tape August 20, 2010 at 8:35 pm #

Balance is definitely the most difficult part for me – looking forward to that lesson.

48. Beka August 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Thank you so much for this FREE class. I’ve been scrapping awhile now, but have focused more on digital techniques than actual design theory. I often get discouraged sitting down to my blank “canvas” and not knowing how to fill it. I either copy someone else’s or try my own, but it never looks quite right. I’ve been looking for a class that will educate me in this way, and I think I’ve found it. THANK YOU!

• Debbie Hodge August 22, 2010 at 1:35 pm #

you’re welcome! SO glad you’ve found us.

49. Ona September 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

My intention is to take your Building Pages class. Just thought I’d preview what it’s like to take a class online with your free one. I like it!
    Thank you Debbie and I’m sure I’ll be saying that again and again!

50. Ona September 18, 2010 at 7:41 am #

With intention to take your Building Pages class, figured I’d try your free class first to see what the process is like online. I like it!
    Looks like this will turn out to be a great refresher class for me – I tend to always leave some design principles on the back-burner.
    Looking forward to the next lesson.

(I think my 1st comment was lost in cyberspace. My bad. But, hey, if you have gotten 2 from me, that’s good because you should have an abundance of compliments heaped upon you!)

51. candyK October 13, 2010 at 7:31 pm #

Thanks for this class. Great information, with clear visuals!

52. Danah October 21, 2010 at 12:51 am #

Looking forward to the lesson on flow and I see I need to work on my repetition with variety 80)

53. Catherine October 23, 2010 at 7:40 pm #

Thank was very clear Debbie – you put all the pieces of the jigsaw together

54. Melinda December 9, 2010 at 9:27 am #

Thanx for the clear steps and basic or fundamental “rules” so I can approach my pages with a mental plan…..I like to know all the considerations before setting out and putting a page together willy nilly! Your steps are clear and concise…..I’m looking forward to the next class!

55. Lola December 29, 2010 at 6:04 pm #

Thanks for this lesson! lots of information and very clear explanations.
    Best wishes for this Holidays!

56. Rosa January 2, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

Thanks Debbie! Really looking forward to the lessons. I’ve always struggled just getting layouts started. Lesson 1 provided me with direction in what to consider to make it easier. Now find myself eagerly awaiting the next lesson!

• Debbie Hodge January 3, 2011 at 7:26 am #

I’m so glad this is helpful. Thanks for leaving a message.

57. Kristin January 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm #

Debbie, this first lesson is very interesting, I look forward to reading on! TFS! Beautiful pages too!

58. Claudia January 4, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Thank you. I can’t wait for the next lesson. I always feel that it is important to keep learning about this hobby. I am very grateful for your willingness to share your knowledge.

• Debbie Hodge January 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

You’re welcome! I always love learning new things myself.

59. Valerie January 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

I’ve completed the survey lesson. How often do the other lessons arrive?

60. Nereada January 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

As a beginner scrapbooker, your page design principals are just what I needed to create pages I can be proud of. Thank you very much for offering great lessons for free.

• Debbie Hodge January 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm #

You are so welcome. Thanks for leaving a message. I hope you make lots of awesome pages.

61. Jenn Copeland January 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

I have always wanted to learn more about the design aspect of scrapbooking. I am not confidant at creating my own layouts. I tend to scraplift designs of others. I can’t remember where I found your class. Not Twitter. Hmm? From someone else’s blog, as I follow several blogs. Thanks for this great class! I am really looking forward to all the lessons!

62. S January 11, 2011 at 11:03 am #

I’m looking forward to this review of design concepts – so far I like your approach. Thanks in advance for all that is to come.

63. Gail Alcorn February 1, 2011 at 8:15 am #

I’m really excited about seeing the rest of the lessons! I have to tell you that I love the way you journaled on the “journaling” example. It really looks like you planned it and it’s very interesting. I think that often happens when we’ve actually made a “mistake”. Thanks for all the great information.

64. ava-j February 8, 2011 at 8:52 am #

Hi Debbie, I’ve picked up some of the design principles from a lot of other places, but never all together like this. I love the structure and flow of your class, thank you so much! I’m looking forward to more “stress-less” scrapping with your lessons at hand..thank you so much!

65. Karina February 13, 2011 at 11:13 pm #

Thanks so much! I’m so excited!!!
    Karina

• Debbie Hodge February 14, 2011 at 8:24 am #

You’re welcome! So glad you’re participating.

66. Fabiola February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

Debbie,
    Very nice class! Clear steps and wonderful ideas!!! I can’t wait for what’s to come! TFS!

67. Cindy Strickland February 22, 2011 at 6:47 am #

Debbie,

I am watching your “Building Pages” series and you mention being able to get these Design lessons all at once instead of spreading them out over a month. Can you let me know how I can do that?

Really enjoying the series of videos.

Thanks, Cindy

68. Dana March 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Hi Debbie!
    Thanks for the wonderful class and info! I am relatively new to scrapbooking, although I’m making up for lost time, tee hee. I have been using a lot of these parts in my scrapbooking without even knowing why. I’m looking forward to the next class, I’m sure that as I figure out why I’m doing what I’m doing naturally, it will help me let go of the stuff that doesn’t work, and incorporate more of what is working!
    I found your site on a link posted on addictedtoscrapbooking. com, I just happened to click on the banner link promoting your blog on tagging ideas, which I liked, btw :)
    Sincerely,
    Dana

• Debbie Hodge March 1, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

You are so welcome. I’m glad you found us and appreciate knowing what you like and how you found us.

69. Angela Renneke March 9, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Dear Debbie,

I recently discovered your website and am loving it. I found this class yesterday through a February post on the Daily Digi by Joey. I’ve been thinking about signing up for your Masterful scrapbook design series, but I’m afraid I would find it overwhelming. I’m very tempted by the April topic though because I love patterned paper but am afraid to use it.

Thanks for the free class. Do you have to use all 6 design principles every time or can you pick one?

Angela

70. Debbie Hodge March 11, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Hi, Angela, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note. So glad you like the website and the free design class. If you sign up for Masterful Scrapbook Design and it’s not a good match for you I’m always willing to send a refund. We’ve structured that website and the materials so that they’re really accessible as a reference and much of the material is available on audio. As for the design principles. You’ll see as the class moves forward that it’s great to use several or even all design principles in a layout.

71. Patricia March 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Dear Debbie,

Thanks for all the “heads ups” of what to expect. Today’s lesson tells me I still have a lot to learn. I am very excited and anxious to start my lessons.
    Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to keep learning and improving on scrapbooking techniques and general ideas.

Take care,
    Patricia

• Debbie Hodge March 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

Thanks for the note! I always love hearing from someone who is excited to be learning design and just pushing their creations.

72. Mandy March 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

I searched google for the principles of design in scrap booking and found your site…. So glad I did. I’m really keen to learn more and take my pages “up a notch or two”. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, so generous of you and much appreciated.
    Mandy. :)

• Debbie Hodge March 29, 2011 at 8:14 am #

Welcome!I always love it when someone who is really wanting this kind of lesson finds us!

73. Beth April 6, 2011 at 2:12 am #

I was very intrigued by your 1st class and can’t wait for the 2nd. Even though I’ve been scrap booking for about 5 months now I still go and look at beginners things to find anything new that I might have missed. You really helped me out on the journaling even from the start and with the flow more than 5 months of reading around has

• Debbie Hodge April 6, 2011 at 8:04 am #

Totally with you and going back and checking out the basics again and again.

74. elizabeth caragannis April 6, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

excelllent information, clear and well organized / have not been able to find this depth of information in the books I have purchased or borrowed from the library. many thanks

• Debbie Hodge April 6, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

thx for your comment – hope you’re getting awesome pages scrapbooked.

75. Julie April 14, 2011 at 7:07 pm #

Thank you so much. I am just beginning to learn about digital scrapbooking but I feel an addiction coming on!

76. pat cooper April 17, 2011 at 3:24 am #

great first lesson but is ther one of your lessons that covers multiple ways to position pictures on a page eg five ways to set up 3 pics or more

77. lawyerlyn April 17, 2011 at 11:51 am #

thanks for giving this class. I can see I still have much to learn. can’t wait for the next one. :-)

78. Deborah Wagner April 25, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

Great first lesson! Although I’ve been scrapping for years, lately I have been interested in learning about the principles of design and how to use them in my pages. Great timing to have found this! Thanks much – looking forward to learning more!

• Debbie Hodge April 26, 2011 at 8:10 am #

that’s kind of how it went for me — you get started and then find it’s a fun challenge to learn the principles

79. Joanne April 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

I am so happy to have come across your web site. Your pages are beautiful. I cannot wait to use your design principles. My pages are going to have so much more meaning. Thank you very much! Can’t wait for the next lesson:) I’m glad I am not to late:) Thank you for for providing it free! Thanks again!

• Debbie Hodge April 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm #

Hi, Joanne, I’m so happy you found us. Always love finding another scrapbooker who likes thinking about things is this way :)

80. Katherine April 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

I followed a link, and then another one, and then another one and found your site! I’ve made a goal to get back to scrapbooking and complete a few albums before the year is out. I can’t wait to get the rest of the lessons to get started! Thank you!!

81. Luz Maria Martin del Campo May 1, 2011 at 2:31 am #

Hi Deb! Thanks so much for the tutorials although I am not new at this, I am always looking for inspiration and a designer`s point of view.

82. Michele May 4, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Thanks for offering this! I’m not new to this — I’ve been digi-scrapping since 2004 — but I’m studying as much as I can to improve because I’m about to start a scrap4hire business. This lesson is an well organized summary and I look forward to seeing the details about each principle coming up.

83. Cheryl May 11, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

I have been out of acrapbooking for a while and it seems I forgot alot. Thanks for the ability to join this refresher course so I can get going again!

84. Cherrie May 13, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Thanks for the wonderful class it was very helpful. Can’t wait for the other classes.

85. Pamela dixon May 24, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

I am new and found your site on Facebook, Scrapbook Expo had a link. I don’t consider myself very creative and so looking for all the help I can get. This will be the perfect classes for me to learn about design, flow, balance and everything else I need to complete a beautiful scrapbook layout. Thank you so much.

86. Lenora Nott June 25, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I have made two paper scrapbooks, but was not rreal happy with them. I may use your classes to do paper books. Thank you for the class.

87. fdgtgrl June 26, 2011 at 12:06 am #

After reading this introduction, I can’t wait to dive in the heart of it all …

88. Helen July 24, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Hi Debbie,

I’ve been looking around for some help in learning how to do some scrapbooking. And I found your website. Your explanations on the first lesson really help me to understand the basic of scarpbooking and what I will learn next.

I have these questions:
    should I get a cutting machine? or better get the pre-cute stuff (letters, shapes, embellishments, etc.)? which one is better?

if machine is better, do you know what is the good one that has compatible software with Mac?

Thank you so much for giving me (and others) this free lesson!

• Debbie Hodge July 25, 2011 at 9:04 am #

Hi, Helen, Glad you found us. I don’t have a cutting machine — it’s all about your preferences. Whether you’d enjoy it, whether you really want to customize your elements, whether you want to spend the $s.

89. Roz Witcher July 25, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Great introduction and first lesson. Your analogy using the tree was great. Now I at least know what makes up a scrapbook page (ingredients) and how they form a product. i have been scrapbooking since 1995 and am just able to understand the design aspect after class one.

• Debbie Hodge July 25, 2011 at 9:05 am #

Thanks for the note, Rox. It is funny how sometimes we just need it laid out — it’s not hard, but we need to know it exists.

90. Jessica August 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

Scrapbooking is one of my favorite hobbies but has always seemed overwhelming to me. Some of the pages I do I really love, and some leave me disappointed and wishing I could redo them. I feel like I have a hard time conceptualizing a lot of the pages so I am really looking forward to reading more and organizing my thoughts and ideas through your blog!

91. Claire August 14, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

I found my way to your blog through Ali Edwards site, and I enjoyed the first lesson and am looking forward to viewing the others. Thanks Claire

• Debbie Hodge August 14, 2011 at 9:59 pm #

welcome and thanks for leaving a note to let us know how you got here. hope you enjoy the lessons.

92. KonaRose August 21, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

Hi, Debbie,

Thank you for the great explanations. I KNEW there had to be a structural method to all of this. Being NEW, I didn’t have a clue where to begin. It’s still a big maze to me, but you left a road map of how to get around – a big thank you!

Rosy

93. Virginia August 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm #

Just started scrapbooking after being invited to a Scrapbooking Weekend ~ didn’t know I would get so “hooked”. Glad I found your website and enjoyed the first lesson and now ready for more! You are very talented.

• Debbie Hodge August 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

thanks and welcome! enjoy being hooked :)

94. Margaret September 3, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Hi Debbie, Thank you so much for the free lessons on design principles. I have been scrapbooking for a number of years now, but my pages seemed to be lacking “something”. I think I have found that something!! Your pages are just beautiful and so inspiring. Can’t wait to learn more.

• Debbie Hodge September 3, 2011 at 11:47 am #

So glad you found this class. Welcome and thanks for the note.

95. Pavithra October 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm #

I have what might be a really silly question. I am brand new to scrapbooking, having done only two layouts ever! I am confused about the base paper for each layout. I did two using cardstock as the base and then sliding it into the page protector that came with the album, over the paper that came in the album when I bought it. The problem is that the pages are becoming very bulky. Am I supposed to use cardstock or just the paper in the album?

• Debbie Hodge October 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

This is actually one of those things that somehow we’re expected to understand even when new to scrapbooking. I remember having this confusion, too. I usually pull the paper that comes with the album out and put it in my kids’ school project supplies. I prefer using a nice textured cardstock for my layout base. And, yes, things do get bulky. It seems to be the nature of the beast with paper pages.

I usually trim my cardstock base down to 11.5×11.5 because I like to scan things in — thinking that someday I’ll want it all in digital format — and it fits on my scanner in two pieces this way. The other result of this is that it keeps things from being too tight to slide into the page protector.

And, finally, you could check out the info on hybrid pages that Betsy Sammarco shared here: http://debbiehodge.com/2011/08/your-computer-is-a-great-scrapbooking-tool-ideas-for-hybrid-layouts/ She makes the base of her pages with layered digital papers and elements and prints it on a wide format printer and then adds some paper embellishments — this makes things slightly less bulky.

• Pavithra October 1, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

Thank you so much! Now I can just take the bottom page out. I will look up the hybrid pages. There is just so much to learn, but am looking forward to the process.

96. Alina December 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

hey there! i am using digital scrapbooks as memory-keepers since august this year and am very much looking forward to your series. i am doing about 4 to 10 pages a week and i definitely make better pages than in the beginning but i still feel that sometimes i just “get it” and sometimes i don’t. some pages really make me smile and i am confident and others seem odd or only boring. thank you so much for the opportunity of improving my skills :-)

• Debbie Hodge December 28, 2011 at 7:08 am #

So glad you’re checking out the class. Sounds like you’re doing lots of scrapbooking.

97. Cynthia Theriault December 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

WHAT A GREAT XMAS PRESENT…always wanting to learn more about design!!!!…THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH !!!

• Debbie Hodge December 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm #

you are so very welcome. thanks for leaving a note.

98. Sarah Jacob January 1, 2012 at 3:42 am #

I am going to make my very first scrapbook ever for my best friend who is getting married in 4 months. I just received my supplies yesterday and then I panicked because I didn’t know what to do and I didn’t want to “ruin” such lovely paper!!

I found your site at such a right time :) I am not so panicky anymore. I’m looking forward to the rest of the lessons!
    Thank you for being so generous!
    Have a happy new year!

• Debbie Hodge January 1, 2012 at 10:11 am #

enjoy the process! it’s really fun once you start getting the photos on the page.

99. Esteele January 1, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Found your site on stumble. I’ve done scrapping for years but was in a rut. This gives me new ideas. Thanks!

• Debbie Hodge January 1, 2012 at 10:12 am #

welcome — it’s always great to get new ideas, isn’t it?

100. Luisa Kelly January 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I have always relied on my sense of balance and design. It will be nice to have a more solid backgroun. It feels a little overwhelming, but I’m sure it will all come together.
    Thanks so much for teaching us all these principles of design.

101. Mandy January 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

I have always wanted to do scrap booking but never knew where to start so I am really looking forward to your lessons ….thanks for sharing your knowledge ……x

102. Mandy February 1, 2012 at 1:54 am #

Loving all the insight so far. Can’t wait to get really started. This is helpful to help remember why I scrapbook and will help me to stay focused. I already implement all of these elements but it helps to remember why they are all important.

103. Sally February 2, 2012 at 6:03 am #

Thank you for the great class and offering it for free. It is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

104. Rebecca S. February 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm #

Thank you so much for these free lessons. I have no sense of design and scrapping has become so frustrating. I look forward to the rest of your lessons. =)

105. Joanne February 28, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Thanks for informative design principle… It enlighten me how to start and design the scrapbookng

106. Carol March 4, 2012 at 11:18 am #

I have not yet ventured into the world of scrapbooking. I was hoping that the
    principals and precepts of scrapbooking would lend its techniques into the card
    world where I currently reside! Haha After reading this first segment, I know it
    will definitely help me with the construction of my card fronts. You have put a great deal experiential learning skills in this first lesson. Thank you for sharing
    the wealth, as the say! I look forward to the next lesson!

107. Lyvian March 5, 2012 at 4:46 am #

Dear Debbie, your lessons arrived here in Morocco :-) by a friend counseling. Thank you so much for this class. It is very interesting! I am Brazilian and beginner in scrapbooking. I’ve been receiving your 2 next lesson, but I really need to come back here to the 1st, to fix some sequences. God bless you!

• Debbie Hodge March 5, 2012 at 8:13 am #

so happy to be coming to you in Morocco :)

108. ehla May 24, 2012 at 3:45 am #

Thank you so much for the first lesson. It’s gorgeous!

109. Jennifer Kellogg July 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

Debbie, I’ve read A LOT about layout design, but this lesson was very well done, clear, and concise. You get right to the heart of a concept. And your layouts! Of course it helps that I really like your style – but they are really amazing and very illustrative of the concepts being presented. Thank you so much for this class!

110. angie October 29, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

this is only #1 lesson and i love it to found you, I’m not shure how but lucky me… thanks for sharing….you are super!!

• Debbie Hodge November 7, 2012 at 8:48 am #

I’m so glad you’re here — and hope you’ll be back!

111. Barbara McCosker February 12, 2013 at 5:27 am #

Dear Debbie,
    Thank you for these free lessons. I have been bumbling along putting photos on pages and embellishing, however I am not confident with layout, how many photos to put on a page, what embellishment is too much so tend to go “less is best”. I have just browsed through lesson one for tonight and am eager to really commence as they are what I need. That you have given them free is amazing and much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Barbara
    Brisbane, Australia

• Debbie Hodge February 12, 2013 at 8:24 am #

yay! love it when something “clicks” :D

112. Vickie March 9, 2013 at 12:53 am #

I got the link for the design classes, but when I try to click the link on the first class nothing happens.

1. Digistamp Club Continues, Scrapping On The Road and Things to Explore | BackToPaper.com - July 30, 2011

[…] Get It Scrapped! Learn Scrapbooking Design Principles for beginners or to refresh your foundation […]

2. Digistamp Club Continues, Scrapping On The Road and Things to Explore - January 21, 2014