Main

image

Source: Flickr / House of Sims

This is the final lesson in Where Scrapbooking Ideas Come From.

The initial lessons covered six basic design principles: emphasis, contrast, repetition, balance, alignment, and flow.

Subsequent lessons (including this one) covered 5 basic scrapbook page parts: photos, journaling, title, embellishments, and canvas.

Click here for Lesson 12

that’s it!

And that’s it! We’ve looked at 6 design principles and 5 page parts and lots and lots of ways to put them all together. And, now . . . how do you feel? What are you motivated to create? Do you feel equipped to scrapbook lots of new pages? Are you still wondering about things? Let me know. I’d love to help.

Did you find this page via an online search or a link from a friend?

This lesson is part of a 12-lesson course called “Design Principles for Scrapbook Pages.” Click here for the complete class.

aprilisspecialApril is special. It’s our anniversary and we’re giving away a class each week to Get It Scrapped members. The earlier you join in April, the more bonus classes you get.

Click here for 4 free classes and an all-access pass to a beautifully illustrated library of eBooks and video and audio recordings. PLUS save 20% on membership this month. You can buy a renewing membership or make a one-time payment for a six-month membership.

28 Responses to Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #12 the Canvas and Design Principles

1. Kim Faucher July 14, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

Thanks so much for these amazing classes. Such a great basic /foundation type lessons that I really needed to go back and ask myself and feel my designs improving already!!
    Look forward to taking more classes here!

Kim

2. Deanie Swynnerton July 15, 2010 at 1:01 am #

Thank you thank you thank you.

• Debbie Hodge July 15, 2010 at 11:40 am #

You’re welcome!!! Thanks for sticking with all of the lessons :)

3. Doris July 16, 2010 at 11:26 pm #

I’m sad to see the end of these classes! Thanks so much Debbie!

4. Stephanie July 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm #

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and making it easy to understand.

• Debbie Hodge July 19, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

oh! you are SO welcome. I’m glad it makes sense and glad you stuck with all of the lessons. Debbie

5. Maria August 18, 2010 at 10:32 am #

Debbie, thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge in order to help us become better at what we love. The classes have been very helpful.

• Debbie Hodge August 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

You are very welcome, Maria. I’m so glad you made it through the lessons and are using the info. Debbie

6. digi_scrap August 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm #

Thank you so much Debbie even though I’ve had a lot going on and haven’t been able to get to them very much. They really look like something I will learn from. I need all the help I can get to improve my scrapbooking. Thanks again.

• Debbie Hodge August 20, 2010 at 8:57 am #

You’re welcome — and they’ll be here when you have more time.

7. Joni September 5, 2010 at 4:23 pm #

Thank you Debbie for these great lessons.

8. grambie September 12, 2010 at 5:51 pm #

I can’t believe the time has passed so fast and this wonderful scrapping lessons have come to an end. I have been learned valuable and new information, while reinforcing things that I knew but did not apply. I find myself now, practicing what I have learned with my pages and others. I thank you for helping this digital scrapper become a bit more competent and comfident as I compose new digital layouts. My thanks, my love, and best wishes to you. God, Bless!!

9. tape September 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

Thank you! I think I’ll try my hand at some multi-photo layouts now.

10. Isabel November 25, 2010 at 5:39 am #

Thank you Debbie, this has been a great class, and sharing all that knowledge with us is really generous of you!

• Debbie Hodge November 25, 2010 at 8:14 am #

You’re so welcome Isabel. Thanks for for working through the entire class :)

11. jill February 1, 2011 at 7:56 am #

thank you for the class – i have really enjoyed it.

12. Joanne Lowe June 4, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

Debbie,

I really enjoyed your classes and cannot thank you enough. I am so excited to see the difference in my pages after your class! Your pages are awesome, thanks for sharing them in this class.

• Debbie Hodge June 5, 2011 at 9:25 am #

You are so welcome. I love hearing that you see a difference in your pages that you like :)

• Debbie Hodge June 14, 2011 at 8:30 am #

you are so welcome.

13. Thom Trybus June 22, 2011 at 2:38 am #

The lessons you teach are so boss~ They encourage and stimulate craft and artwork within. I am experimenting with making the covers of the scrapbooks themselves and the types, weights, and textures of the page materials as well. Burlap rice sacks (The 25lb. zippered type embellished with a snazzy print pattern) will work well by itself mounted glued, stapled etc. on 1/4 inch plywood, or wrapped around a three ring binder to hold the pages and decorated dividers. I recently reupolstered an antique bentwood “Saloon” chair with that same material and it turned out fine. But what is really cool is when I took some left over copper step flashing from when my sister recently had her roof replaced, cleaned the squares well with a wire brush and some copper cleaner, riveted several of them together and hammered out some cool designs and patterns on the “sheet”. I painted some but not all, of the floral and scroll patterns w/lettering I beat into it with enamels, and it is also just as good and relatively easy to colorize any or all of that type of artwork with acrylic painting and cover a binder with that. My two brothers who have been residing in a nursing home for nearly 20 years like ‘em, especially the pockets I made inside the covers, which I couldn’t resist slipping into a few family pictures~ and a few bucks for coffee or whatnot. Thanx for your all of your encouragement Debbie, Scrapbooking gives me a refreshing break from my other art projects, and fills a void that exists while I am always working alone. Thom.

14. Lady Bug May 13, 2012 at 10:02 am #

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for this great set of lessons. This is my second time through them. I’ve been paying a lot of attention to alighnment since my first reading of the lessons. Now I plan to spend some time working with contrast.

Thanks for sharing!!!

• Debbie Hodge May 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm #

I love doing that kind of study myself — working through one aspect and practicing.

15. LM_Levesque May 30, 2012 at 8:41 am #

This is the 2nd time I have taken this class. I think I got a little more out of it this time. I scrapbook both with paper and digitally and there are parts that are helpful for both mediums.
    I have really enjoyed the fact that this time there are .pdf’s. I read them on my ipad while I’m away traveling for business (airport wi-fi can be soooo unreliable!), but there is no pdf for lesson 11. Can I get a link for that?

Thanks

• Debbie Hodge June 6, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Fixed up lesson 11 — sorry about that. And you’ll get a link to all lessons in one pdf at the end. Love hearing you’re working through it a 2nd time.

16. Sandy K March 1, 2013 at 8:56 am #

Thanks a bunch, Debbie, for these twelve fabulous lessons which I’ve printed out. Just need a cup of tea and a quiet corner to read all the lessons and to begin the process of applying what I learn, into practice. I am so appreciative of this jump start to get me back to creating scrapbook layouts.