Keep a 5-Year Journal | Progress to Date and Prompts for March

by Tami Taylor

Welcome back. This is the second installment of this series: “Keep a 5 year Journal.” Click here to see all 12 months.

I’m back with a quick list of observations and another list of questions.  I’ve been plugging away at my journal and have a few things to share:

It’s not too late to reevaluate your system

My drawer is too big.  Yup, I got this drawer thinking it’d be big enough to fit 365 cards, and now I realize it would fit closer to 800 cards.  They don’t sit the way I’d like, so I need to reevaluate my system.

I don’t want to lose my drawer because I love it, so I need to find something to fill the space.  The cards are 4×6. Photos are 4×6.  That’s how I came to the conclusion that, over the next five years, I’m going to add a favorite photo here or there.

Is your original system working the way you expected?  It’s not too late to change things.  Think about what you like best and what isn’t working.  If you need ideas post in the comments.

My favorite card this month

My approach to the journal is to make 365 “question” cards with the question and some art on the front and the 5 years of answers on the back. So here’s my favorite card I’ve made — It was probably the quickest to create, but I liked building the little house and having the little piece of index card showing beneath the torn-away paper.

Projects from our 5-Year Journal friends

I’ve invited all of you to share ideas and images of your 5-year journal. Check out these two approaches.

Sherry Eckblad – Button Junkie http://buttonjunkie.blogspot.com/

Terri Kinjo – Simply Terri (She started a few years ago) http://mikineko.wordpress.com/

I hope you join me on this journey.  You can jump in at any time: start on your birthday, a special event or just make today special.

If you decide to keep a five year journal, or are already keeping one and would like to be featured in an upcoming month, please contact me.  I’d love to share what everyone is doing.  I’d love to share all kinds of journals, so if you’re keeping it digitally I’d love a screen shot of your journal for next month.

And don’t forget the list of questions for March

365 Questions – March

365 Questions for January & February can be found here

Tami Taylor writes for Get It Scrapped!, teaches at Masterful Scrapbook Design and previously owned Creative Passion Classes.com. To learn more about Tami check out her blog, The Taylor Life.

15 Responses to Keep a 5-Year Journal | Progress to Date and Prompts for March

1. Lori February 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

LOVE this list of prompts!!! Thank you so much for creating and sharing!

2. Sherry Eckblad February 15, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Thanks for sharing my perpetual calendar. My name is Sherry Eckblad not Sharon. I don’t remember sharing my idea with you though.

• TamiTaylor February 16, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Sherry,
      I’m very sorry I typed your name incorrectly. You shared your idea on the original post here: http://debbiehodge.com/2012/01/5-year-journal-01/

I thought that you were sharing it because I asked for anyone that would like to be featured to share. If you want me to take your image and link off this article let me know. I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

3. Deb February 17, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Thanks Tami for the March List… I am really enjoying this little project. So simple, quick and easy!

4. Juliette Gold February 18, 2012 at 9:00 am #

Wow! The idea of a 5 year journal is great! Thank you so much for posting this prompts. This is so inspiring! I’m starting mine today :D

5. Georgina February 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm #

I came accross this idea on Pinterest and thought it was a great idea!

I am starting the Journal today!

I typed all the questions from Jan 1st to the end of March.
    I’m going to begin with January 1st, and put February 29th to the side.

The rest I printed in different colors, I cut them up individually, folded them and put them in a Mason Jar … Every day I’ll do a different. I’m going to use 5×8 Index cards with no lines!

I really love this idea!!

• TamiTaylor February 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm #

what an awesome idea! I love the not knowing what question is next :D

6. Elly March 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Have you already got april online ? :)

7. Chelci June 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm #

I wish I could get all of them so I could write them all down and do it like that… If there is any way to do that let me know :) Love this idea!!!

8. Jennifer November 14, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Would you mind showing what the back of the card looks like? Thanks!

9. Yeisha December 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

I am so excited to have found this. I’ve needed a creative outlet for months. I use to journal all the time, but then I just couldn’t find the time. Now that I’m living on my own starting over, I needed this.
    I will be using Microsoft OneNote for now since I can transfer the journal from one computer to the next and I can password lock it. My last journal was found and read and it was not the best scenario.

10. Melissa August 31, 2014 at 12:12 pm #

Hi! I just found your website today, August 31, 2014 (-almost two years since the above comments!) and I’m so looking forward to following your ideas! Thanks for putting this together! ????

11. Lynn A Stevens November 7, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

This is such a novel approach I couldn’t wait to get started. Please keep me updated on new projects like this.

12. Melissa R March 4, 2015 at 8:12 am #

I found this back in December, (and started it on January 1st) and am not only doing it on some stock cards, I’m also doing it on facebook. It’s bold to put your feelings out there for all your “friends” to see! This is awesome! Thanks!