Main

Alcohol Marker Comparison – Part 3 (copic tutorial no. 29)

by Michelle Houghton

This is the third installment of my comparison of alcohol markers.

• In the first article I gave you the facts, comparing 4 brands of markers and examining Spectrum Noir markers more closely.
  • In the second article I took a closer look at Letraset Trio markers.
  • In this article I want to share a newer marker out there: the Shin Han, **Touch Twin Brush marker.

I want to also remind you one last time that these are my opinions.  I am comparing the Twin Touch Brush to my own Copic Sketch markers because that is the brand I am the most familiar with.

Shin Han **Touch Twin Brush Marker

Looking at the marker body, there are many similarities to Copic markers.

• The marker has a rectangular body that fits well in my hand.
    • The ends are colored the same color of the ink inside and marked with the number and color name.
    • These markings appear to be embossed but are very small so I am not sure how well they will hold up over time.
    • The side of the marker has small images indicating which tip is at which end, and the brush end leaves a slight gap that shows gray for easy grabbing.
    • One feature I am not sure about is the shape of the cap.  The cap curves downward on the front and back of the marker.  This threw me off and I kept trying to close the top with it turned sideways.

While I am certain there is some reasoning behind the Shin Han numbering system, I was unable to find much information to decipher it.

I purchased Y34, Y35 and YR24 going by the color chart on the site where I made my purchase.  The Copics that are most similar in my set are Y15, Y19 and YR16.  I went back to try to figure out the numbering system at the Shin Han site and was disappointed to not find the information easily.  In fact I could not find any information.  At first glance the numbering is  different from the Copic numbering system, however I am not certain how exactly it differs.

Below I have used my Copic Multiliner SP to created a small bird to color with both my Touch Twin Brush and Copic Sketch markers.

I was extremely pleased with the blending of the Touch Twin Brush.  I did luck out on my colors and picked a good set, but was very excited with the rich color, good saturation and easy blending.

I would say that of all the brands I’ve looked at, these were definitely the closest to my Copic markers with regard to ease of blending.   Below is my example of the same bird colored with my Copic markers.

The advantages of the Touch Twin Brush marker

• Smooth blending
  • High quality body
  • Price!

The disadvantages to the Touch Twin Brush marker:

• Marking very small on the ends
  • Questions on the numbering system

Overall I have to say for the cost these are a spectacular marker.  If someone wanted to save some dollars and get into alcohol markers I would recommend the Shin Han, Touch Twin Brush markers highly!

**Shin Han also makes a Touch Twin marker that does not have a brush tip but a bullet tip.  You can find more details on this marker at the Shin Han web site.

Bio-shot-2011-150Michelle Houghton is a wife, mother and artist living in Iowa. Even before she began scrapbooking, she was a lifelong artist, majoring in Fine Arts at the University of Oregon and then teaching high school art for 7 years. Michelle has been scrapbooking for more than 15 years and she enjoys adding her own art, doodles and handmade elements to her pages for a one-of-a-kind look.

Michelle teaches doodling, Copics, handlettering and more in her classes at Creative Passion and at workshops throughout the Midwest. She writes tutorials at Get It Scrapped and is an instructor for Imagination International Inc., the US distributor of Copic products.

Get these free easy-to-use tools and classes for giving your photos stories.

20 Responses to Alcohol Marker Comparison – Part 3 (copic tutorial no. 29)

1. Kam July 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

Interesting.

The price of the markers is now higher than the 1.89 listed though-$4.30. And when you consider you can get copics on ebay for that price.

K

• Michelle August 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Kam, Thanks this has changed and I appreciate the update, I went off some bad information and should have double triple checked all the details! I am actually going to add 5 more alcohol markers to this series so i will update the chart!

• Michelle August 3, 2012 at 11:32 am #

OK this was driving me nuts! I could not figure out how I got such a key piece of information incorrect! But I just figured it out. Amazon carries the Shin Han Twin Touch markers for 1.89. They do not have the brush tip but do have the same ink and a dual tip body. Amazon does NOT carry the Twin Touch Brush right now that I could see.

2. Liz in CA September 19, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

If you are fortunate enough to go to San Diego Comic-Con, you can get hooked up for about $3 a pen for ShinHans. At Comic-Cons where Copic is (like New York coming up next month), their show price is $5 a pen — may be a little more than eBay, but nothing beats instant gratification! They also have good show specials on their light boxes, etc. I do all my shopping at comic-con!

• Michelle September 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Thanks Liz! Always good to know where to look! That is a great deal on Shin Han!

3. sherry gardner September 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

good information…I would be interested in how you compare the promarker to the copic sketch…thanks for your input.
    Sherry

• Michelle September 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Sherry, the Promarker is also made by Letraset so very similar to the Trio marker that I compared in the previous article the differences are; the Promarker only has two nibs, a bullet tip and a chisel tip and as far as I can see they are not refillable. There are 148 colors and the cost I am finding them for is 1.89. These are a popular starting marker because of the cost. More questions just shout :-)

4. Dee January 31, 2013 at 9:29 pm #

I’ve been using the Touch Twin markers for quite some time and I have to say that I love them! The price is fantastic and they are refillable. I actually prefer them to the Copic now.
    The colours are vibrant and blend really well. If you go to the Shinhan Art site http://www.shinhanart.com/ there is a downloadable colour chart that should put the colour coding aspect into perspective.

• Michelle February 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

I really do like them as well! I think they have a great marker.
      BUT I will be honest I have studied their color chart quite a few times because I have been directed back there when I asked questions of a few different people and I still do not get it. I see them all lined up but the numbering does not make sense to me, I am not seeing a pattern or structure. If you can explain it I would LOVE to hear it! E-mail me ;-)

• Mark April 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

If you download the color chart from that site, you’ll see it’s woefully outdated (says “new colors coming early 2012″), but if you download their 2013 product catalog, it has a more accurate color chart by shade (and you’ll see many of the numbers are out of sequence). I think what happened was, they just numbered them in order, and then added new colors as they went along and had to fit them in. So at least the letter code fits, but the numbering is just kind of crammed in there. I got the browns set a few years ago on clearance, and noticed it myself, that the colors don’t really match up sequentially. So you generally have to test them out to see what order they should go in (like I said, the 2013 product catalog color chart is a good place to start).

• Michelle April 16, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Thanks as always Mark you are on top of it! Yeah this is kind of what I figured but was not getting a clear cut answer from anyone. (it was my best guess as well) Thanks!

• ShinhanUSA March 11, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

the coloring system is Munsell. Please review on Google. Hope this helps all.

5. Isis July 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

Hi, Michelle!

Thanks so much for all your tips! I’d love to see a review/comparison with the GRAPH IT markers. I think is a quite new brand, made in France.
    I bought some of them but they don’t have “brush nib”, just a bullet one (hard) and I’m having trouble to bled with it. I’d like to know if it’s due to my lack of experience or if it’s really hard.
    They cost about 2.6 USD.

Thanks again! =)

• Michelle July 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

Without even using them I can tell you that it is harder for me to use a bullet nib to blend. Can it be done yes but more difficult for me. Like any marker practice is going to be your best bet! :-)

So glad you like the information and I will add these to my ever growing list.

• Mark July 2, 2013 at 8:44 am #

They look very similar to “Style File” markers (could be the ‘import version’). It seems to be another case of either saturating the section you want to blend beforehand with the blender, or laying down the light color, then dark, then going back over it with the lighter color while it’s still wet. You put a US price on them, did you get them in the US? Or do you know some place that will ship them to the US? I found their main site (http://www.graphit-marker.com/blog/) but as per, trying to purchase them from the US is something of a hassle :)

6. Michelle December 20, 2013 at 4:01 am #

I found a set of TouchFour 900 markers on ebay. I haven’t been able to find any real information or reviews on the internet. They appear to have the Shin Han logo on the side but there is so little information available I’m not sure – have you ever used or heard of them before? Can you give me any advice on them?

• Michelle December 30, 2013 at 8:48 pm #

Michelle I am late in catching this again and I am sorry! The little I could find on the TouchFour 900 is that it is actually an oil based marker. I am going to do a little more reading, it very well could be by Shin Han but if it is oil it will be a very different animal!

• Michelle December 30, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

On further looking the sight I am looking at says the Shin Han Twin brush marker that I used is also “oil” so not sure where they are going with that. My guess these are going to work VERY similar to the other alcohol markers. Looks like you have a chisel and bullet tip. So blending takes a little more saturation and work but should be very doable. I would love to hear what you think of them. Have you tried anything yet?

7. ShinhanUSA February 8, 2014 at 11:29 am #

Hi Michelle,
    I thought I’d reply with cogent response as relates in the way the Touch Twin color palette is arranged. Shinhan utilizes the Munsell Color system. Mundell, different from Pantone, etc. can be found on the web with further reasoning to why and how color arrangement exists in out Touch Twin Markers. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.
    sb

PS Shinhan has been around for nearly 50 years and we manufacture and distribute a full line of stellar world-class art materials and accessories. We export to over 60 countries around the globe and dominate our store-shelves and sales with over 90% of SH product throughout Korea.

• Michelle February 8, 2014 at 11:32 am #

Thanks for the info! I will check that out!