TLS003: Designing Scrapbook Pages by Scraplifting (Video)

by Debbie Hodge

The starting point for any scrapbook page for me is faith: faith that if I begin moving my photos around on the canvas, the story and the design will emerge. Watch me make At the Falls and see where my faith took me on this day.

Resources:

• I used Totally Rad Labs to edit my photos and get the shadows off my subjects’ faces
  • I used this page by Doris Sander to figure out where to put my photos, to guide my foundational pieces and titlework.
  • The digital kit Diptych by Paisley Press is a part of this month’s Digi Files.
  • Digital scrapbooking supplies: Diptych by Paislee Press; Lil Miss Sassy Pants by Mari Koegelenberg; Daydream Krafts by Tracy Martin; Typeset Alpha by Sahlin Studio; Oiselet Rouge Element Pack, Black Paper Alpha by Katie Pertiet; Seas the Day by Julianna Kneipp; Straight Line Stitched by Anna AspnesTypenoksidi, Andrea’s Script Upright fonts

15 Responses to TLS003: Designing Scrapbook Pages by Scraplifting (Video)

1. Lisa August 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm #

I just had to say how much I am loving these time lapse scrapbooking videos! It is so much fun to see how the creative process works for others and I am learning along the way. Thanks for taking the time to do this…I hope they keep coming!!

2. Katie Scott August 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm #

Debbie! This video is awesome! I’ve seen videos about making a page before but I don’t think I’ve ever seen one about scraplifting or using an inspiration piece – but I super love this! You know I’m going to go make a paper page right now! :) Katie.

3. Jett August 15, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Debbie, Your time lapse videos are amazing!!! It is my favorite way to learn… watching and hearing the design process from beginning to end solidifies the concepts in my head. Plus, it is so incredibly reassuring to see that rock star designers like you tinker with your pages too. I love seeing that you place something on your page, then you kind of move it around, or you add something, but decide you don’t really like that and find something different. When I only see the finished page, I imagine that you picked out each item already knowing the perfect placement, the perfect colors, embellishments, etc. When I spend time tinkering and can’t decide, I feel like such a scrapbook loser. So thank you, for letting me see that tinkering is part of the process for everyone.

• Debbie Hodge August 16, 2012 at 12:25 am #

Oh, yikes! I’m so glad you now know that i ALWAYS tinker and often just SIT (though those parts of the videos get super-speeded). Thanks for leaving a note. I’m glad it’s helpful.

4. YanL August 19, 2012 at 1:24 am #

It’s so wonderful to watch a page design done from start to finish,..inspiring! Thanks for showing your process of scrapping. May I know what organizing system are you using? .. you seem to cruise through looking for the right item so effortlessly!

• Debbie Hodge August 20, 2012 at 7:46 am #

I use acdSee for organizing my supplies. It probably looks like things are easier than they are because I super speed some of that work in the videos.

I primarily work with supplies that I’ve recently purchased and they are all in one area and easy to browse.

I have put a lot of supplies in categories — buttons, ribbons, mists, tags, journalers, kits, papers, flowers, stars, butterflies . . . . I have A LOT of categories. I wouldn’t say I’ve got everything well categorized, but I’ve got enough to be able to always find something.

I also use the “search” feature a lot. I type in something like *splatter* and select the folders with my product — it can take a minute or two — but then I’ve got great choices (if the product designer named things that way) — when searches take especially long, I often set up a category right then and drag everything I”ve found into it. (Did that last night with *splatter* *spritz* and *mist*).

5. Colleen Umlah August 19, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Debbie, I love these videos, how you put a page together and talk about the design principles involved. I am a paper scrapper but the principles and techniques are the same, and I print my own photos so I can edit, resize, crop as you do. I have also invested in Rad Lab and love using in in PSE. Thank so much!

• Debbie Hodge August 20, 2012 at 7:42 am #

glad to know that you’re a paper scrapper finding these helpful because that is my intention.

6. Ami August 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm #

These are so thoroughly spell-binding. I love watching your creative process. Thank you.

7. Diane August 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

I really enjoyed the video and hope you do many more. It was a great learning experience for me.

• Debbie Hodge August 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

I’m actually loving doing these because it’s speeding up my process . . . keeping me from sitting too long in front of a blank screen and pushing me to BE CONFIDENT with the choices I make instead of 2nd guessing.

8. Sherley Filan August 29, 2012 at 2:57 am #

Nice work! Love this concept. Thank you for doing this and helping me!

1. CraftCrave | Blog | Scrapbooking Tutorials (large): Tuesday, 21 Aug 2012 - August 21, 2012

[…] TLS003: Designing Scrapbook Pages by Scraplifting (Video) – 1 freebie(s)? […]