TSL001: Designing Scrapbook Pages with Focal Points (Video)

by Debbie Hodge

I like making scrapbook pages because I get to spend time playing with color and pattern and image — all the while thinking about the memories associated with the photos I’m working with AND the story I want to tell about them. It’s a puzzle; it’s an exploration of my life; it’s an activity that results in stories made visible for myself and others.

In an effort to get anyone with a few photos on their computer, I’m making a series of videos that show the making of a page from the time the photos make it onto the canvas — before any thought of design has happened. I want to show process–but, most importantly, to show that if you have faith and take that first creative step, something of value will result.

In this video I made “Proud and Happy Tourist” with the following digital scrapbooking supplies: Easy Breezy by Crisdam Designs; TheTraveler by River Rose; Comic by EnKay Design; Knockout by Splendid Fiins; Blackout, Cookie fonts.

Mentioned in the video:

12 Responses to TSL001: Designing Scrapbook Pages with Focal Points (Video)

1. Lori August 2, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

Cool, Debbie! How fun to see and hear your process! I hope you will do this again. Thank you!

2. Sondra August 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm #

Loved watching the flow and thought processes behind the layout. Mine so very rarely end up the way I start them, it was great to see that I’m not alone!

3. Katherine August 3, 2012 at 1:47 am #

Debbie … that’s flippin’ brilliant. I *love* that you showed and explained all the starts and redo’s as you worked on the page and so happy to know I’m not the only one who does that. As always, you’ve found another creative way to share the design process with us. Thanks!

4. coffeebabs August 3, 2012 at 11:16 am #

Thank you, Debbie! This was great. Loved watching your work flow. Thanks for taking the time and sharing it with us!

5. Andrea August 4, 2012 at 9:15 am #

That was great, thanks so much. Hope you continue it!

6. Kim Millar August 4, 2012 at 11:48 am #

Loved the video. It’s nice to see how other actualy scrap their photos. I’m new. Just joined the Digi Game. I love all the help I can find. Thanks.

7. Jennifer Kellogg August 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

What a great thing to share! What is the program you kept flipping to that showed all your digital kit parts? Is it a program or just your explorer/finder? I’ve got tons of stuff, but haven’t even started digi pages because I don’t know how to “see” what I’ve got.

8. Debbie Hodge August 4, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Thanks so much for the comments. I am excited to make more of these. Jennifer, I use acdsee to find my digital product.

9. Ami August 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

Debbie, This was so very helpful. Where and how to start with digital supplies has been an on-going problem for me. Because of my health I need to do more digital scrapping and less paper. I will be watching this more than once. Thank you for showing us your process.

Please show us how you use ACDSee to find digital product other than tagging every single item.

10. DragonsLady (aka Francine) August 5, 2012 at 8:05 am #

Loved seeing your process. Maybe I’ll eventually get to where I can see/do as well as you.

11. Jana Oliveira August 9, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Love the idea of you showing your process Debbie !

1. Brush Up Your Digi Skills With These Tutorials | Creative Passion Classes - August 13, 2012

[…] Time Lapse Scrapbooking Video Tutorial No 1 from DebbieHodge.com […]