Give Your Photos Stories Podcast | 003 Bugs and Critters

Podcast600HeaderBugs

In this episode of Give Your Photos Stories we’re looking at photos of Bugs and Critters with guests Carrie Arick, Ronnie Crowley, and Katrina Kennedy. And we’re telling our stories about these creatures. You might have a recurring critter visitor, a bug or critter you’re afraid of, an unusual childhood pet, or a memorable run-in with an animal. We’ll share our stories and I hope you will share yours in the comments.

Download or new window

Katrina Kennedy website | twitter | facebook | pinterest | youtube

GYPS-003-KatrinaKennedy

Debbie Hodge  website | twitter | facebook | pinterest | youtube | instagram

GYPS-003-DebbieHodge

12 Responses to Give Your Photos Stories Podcast | 003 Bugs and Critters

1. Rosann January 21, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

So the weather being what it is on the east coast, it too me over 2 hours to get home and I enjoyed a mini marathon of the first 3 podcasts. I could totally relate to the praying mantis story and never though of scrapping the buterflies we get in our back yard until now.

I live in NYC and I invested in fixing up our small but nice back yard. it’s mostly paved but I insisted in a 4 foot by about 15 foot stretch where I could do some gardening. No food products due to the nasty stray cats in the neighborhood but I wanted to see Brooklyn Butterflies. So I did some research and purchase a variety of perennials to create a butterfly garden. And it totally worked. I think we were all shocked. But without fail we get pretty butterflies in my backyard every summer since I planted that garden.

Thanks for all of the inspiration.

• Rosann February 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

Just want to clarify that as far as I know there is no such thing as a “Brooklyn” Butterfly. I meant any butterfly that finds its way to Brooklyn :/

2. Cathy January 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm #

I have never laughed to tears in a podcast until now with the passing of Elvis and his cold storage. Love these podcasts as they bring up so many memories. Living in the foothills of Colorado Springs and being evacuated from the Waldo Canyon fire in 2

• Katrina Kennedy February 1, 2014 at 1:10 am #

LOL! I was crying telling the story. It never seemed so funny until I shared it with everyone! Poor Elvis.

3. Cathy January 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

Hit enter too soon. in 2012, we started to see lots of wildlife looking for food, including a bear and a moose, which we had never seen in this part of town before.

Growing up on a dairy farm in WI, lots of critter stories, but one that comes to mind is having a bat in my bedroom. Getting ready for bed, I noticed it flying around and thought it was a bird. My grandma who slept with me when she stayed for a weekend, came in and screamed, that’s no bird, that’s a bat and I will never get the picture out of my mind of her in her pink nightgown swinging a badminton racquet in one hand and spraying a can of Aquanet hairspray in the other until that bat had no where to go but in a shelved closet and she slammed the door. We slept downstairs that night, and my parents told me they could hear that bat scratching all night long as their room was next to mine. The next day Dad and I found that bat in a bag of baby ribbons and he threw it out the window. I have not liked bats till this day that are not in the zoo!

Thanks for these great podcasts. Lots of inspiration!

4. Melissa Shanhun January 21, 2014 at 11:31 pm #

We used to have a bobtail lizard that would come and leave tracks in the sand around our home (We called him Joshua, as in the battle of Jericho). He was sitting on our doormat once when our rellies arrived one day and my cousin picked it up and scared us with it as we answered the door!

In Kalgoorlie the bobtails were orange to match the red dirt, and I found a HUGE on at the front of our home (video here http://www.flickr.com/photos/26825677@N04/12080212064/)

Here’s one page I’ve done about a gecko

They were a real novelty to me when I arrived in Kalgoorlie having grown up with only skinks and bobtails :)

Of course, we grew up with random lizards, racehorse goannas, scorpions (no snakes at home, but definitely at school!!) and other random creatures as we always lived in new housing areas with bush around us. My school was near market gardens so they set up rabbit traps on the oval during the school holidays (feral rabbits are all over WA :( so sad)

5. Melissa Gross January 22, 2014 at 10:11 pm #

When I first read the topic of this podcast, I thought I don’t have any critter stories. I really enjoyed listening & laughing with this episode and remembered two stories that I’ve added to my stories-to-scrap list.

At the beach – Daddy started jumping around in the shallow waves, waving his arms – we thought he was being silly until we realized a crab had grabbed on to his toe and wouldn’t let go. We now call that the “crab dance”.

Grandma always threatened to lure some of the ducks near her apartment in so she could make a duck stew. She always loved to hunt and really missed it when she got older. When she died, we found two ducks in the freezer – already dressed & ready to cook!?!???

6. Gretchen January 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

I agree with Cathy and Melissa, listening brought up so many memories. I loved your memories of the coy dogs, Debbie. I grew up on the NY/Canadian border (west of Champlain) and we had coy dogs in our woods. It was eerie, listening to the packs howl on winter evenings. We never saw them, but they were definitely a presence.

7. Bec Collard January 27, 2014 at 12:56 am #

In Australia I get plenty of spiders in the house, we just let them live in the house unless they are the dangerous type. I havent scrapped about our spidey mates as it hadnt occured to me too. I have added photos of particularly big or unusual spiders to my project life album.
    I do have lots layouts of our british giant rabbits and the kids interaction with them.

8. Cathy R January 27, 2014 at 10:33 am #

I loved listening to this podcast! It brought to mind the time when I was a newly single parent with two little boys, 6 & 4 yrs. old. One day I took advantage of some “me” time while they played outside and was reading a book, laying across my bed. The “me” time didn’t last very long because they came running inside, eager to show me a tiny little frog they had found which they then proceeded to drop on my bed. Little did they know I had and still do have a lifelong phobia about frogs. I know, I know: It’s not reasonable but still I have it. I stood up on the bed, screaming! They stood at the foot of the bed, screaming in reaction to me! The little frog just hopped all around us until my oldest scooped it up and took it outside. My oldest son, now almost 43, loves telling this story to his only child, age 7, because he buys her frogs and they know “Mimi” will do ALMOST anything for this grandchild, including touching a play frog, even though it gives her the shivers to do so. I’ve got to get these two stories on a layout, one about the original story and one about what a grandmother will do for the love of her grandchild.

Thanks for the inspiration!

9. Tiffany W. March 3, 2014 at 2:19 pm #

I laughed until I cried about Elvis in the freezer. My boys stuck worms in our freezer many years ago, which was a very unpleasant surprise when I went looking for some berries one day!
    My brother-in-law is an avid hunter and loves to shoot squirrels and then store them in his freezer. When I went to visit them, my little nephew gleefully pulled a frozen, dead squirrel out of their freezer and proudly showed it to us. Fortunately, I was warned about the contents of the freezer or else I would have been horrified.

10. Natalie (QSOgirl) April 12, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

I just listened to this episode on a plane ride. I was laughing ’til I was crying over the Elvis-in-the-freezer story (the poor flight attendant was worried there was something wrong with me until she realized I was actually laughing), and I just couldn’t stop! I LOVED the stories you all told. Thank you for bringing such joy to my plane trip ;-)