Give Your Photos Stories Podcast | 004 Big Storms

Give Your Photos Stories Podcast 004 | Big Storms

In this episode of Give Your Photos Stories we’re looking at photos of Big Storms, and we’re telling our stories about these events, from the unexpected arrival of one storm to the arduous preparations for another. We’ll talk about taking the measure of a storm, about how a storm can be a marker to a time in your life, and about getting through the time after a storm when your daily life is disrupted. Guests are Carrie Arick, Melissa Gross, Katie Scott and Christy Strickler. Share YOUR stories in the comments.

Download or new window

katiesphotos

Christy Strickler | website twitter facebook  youtube pinterest

christysphotos

10 Responses to Give Your Photos Stories Podcast | 004 Big Storms

1. Elise Thomasset January 31, 2014 at 11:39 am #

Hello Debbie & Get It Scrapped team,

I LOVE this podcast! I feel like I am part of the conversation and keep wanting to break in with my own stories. I need to re-listen to all the episodes with a notebook in hand. I couldn’t imagine how many critter stories would pop into my head, and, no kidding… While I was listening to episode #3 I found a dead duck in my front yard! And, I took a picture… (ick!)

My comment is about having stories with no photos. I am 60 years (young), with so many stories over my lifetime I would love to document. I have very few photos of these stories, especially before digital photography, and specifically using my phone to snap pictures. I still have to remind myself to take out my phone and take a picture.

Thank you so much for this podcast format, and I would appreciate any feedback!

Elise in Kansas (where I have never actually seen a tornado!)

• Christy S. (@PaperScientist) February 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

Hi Elise! I am glad you enjoyed the show. I have a lot of stories that don’t have photos as well. Most of them are before my son was born and prior to us owning a digital camera. I am planning on documenting the smaller stories via pocket pages.One small story per pocket. For larger stories, I try to find something as a substitute for the photo. In some cases it may be the journaling. In others, I might be able to find a photo on the internet that can be used.

Being on the storm stories podcast reminded me of the first hurricane I can remember as a small child. I don’t have any photos but I do remember that my mom got me a spirograph to keep me occupied. I would like to find an image of the spirograph to help me tell that story.

I used to volunteer at a wildlife refuge and I have a ton of critter stories without photos. I plan to use embellishments to highlight those particular tales.

2. Melissa Gross January 31, 2014 at 12:07 pm #

Hi Debbie! Thanks for the opportunity to share my Big Storm stories! It was so much fun and I enjoyed hearing everyone else’s stories.

I posted the layouts I mentioned in the podcast on my blog: http://www.melissagross.blogspot.com/2014/01/big-storm-give-your-photos-stories.html.

3. Marcia February 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm #

I love these podcasts and carry on a conversation with all of you while I’m listening ;) I enjoyed hearing the storm stories and found myself surprised that I don’t really remember any winter storms from my childhood. I think I just grew up in an area (northwest Wisconsin) where snowstorms were not events. I do remember tornado warnings and going to the basement (and trying to remember, “now is it the southwest corner we’re supposed to go to?”), even though we never actually had a tornado touch down anywhere near us.
    Thanks for the podcast – really well done!

4. Tiffany W. March 3, 2014 at 2:27 pm #

In 2012, we were hit with a huge snowstorm a few days before Halloween in New York. I arrived home from a house hunting trip to Saudi Arabia with my husband just a day before the storm hit. My husband stayed in Saudi Arabia to do some work while I returned to our children. I got home to sick kids AND lice. I treated the kids for lice and thought I was rid of it. Then the storm came, knocking out power for several days. I thought we were doing okay. We didn’t have heat, but we could make food. Several towns cancelled Halloween because the lights were out and the streets were so dangerous with downed lines.
    All the kids and I bundled up in my little bedroom so we were warm and cozy at night. One night as we are getting ready for bed, I notice a little tiny louse crawling on my daughter’s head. I was so mad because at that point, I really had no options for treating my daughter. We were all sleeping together so I was sure I was going to get the dratted little creatures. My husband was gone. The power was out so I couldn’t wash bedding or take care of our little infestation. Plus, I was terribly jet-lagged. And you couldn’t exactly invite yourself over to a neighbor or friend’s house. . . Just as I hit my breaking point, a very kind friend learned of our predicament and invited us over, even knowing we had lice. Just as I was getting ready to pack up the kids and head to her house, the power came on.

I still haven’t forgiven my husband for being gone while we survived that disaster!

5. Natalie (QSOgirl) April 14, 2014 at 3:02 pm #

Listening to this podcast reminded me of a funny storm story of my own.

I moved from Pennsylvania to central Illinois for graduate school, and I was delighted to live in the top floor (4th story) of a condo building on a golf course, in a unit that faced north-west so that I could watch the thunderstorms roll in. I’ve always been fascinated by severe storms, and I had a wonderful view. I also knew that there were tornadoes possible in that part of the country, but I’d never experienced one personally, and I had no idea what tornado warning sirens sounded like.

Shortly after I moved in, a big thunderstorm came in. I was all alone in my unit, eating dinner, facing the windows and watching the dark clouds with delight. Suddenly I heard horns blasting–faintly. My heart began to race as I realized I had no idea where I should go, since the ground floor of the building was the garage! After flitting nervously around my unit, I decided to poke my head into the hall to see what the neighbors were doing. The hall was deserted. I was stumped. What should I do??

I actually have no idea what I ended up doing. I think I just kept watching the storm, scanning the sky to see if there was a funnel cloud in view. It was a few days later that I spoke with someone from the area whom I knew. I told her about my experience and she began to laugh. “Those were the lightning horns!” she exclaimed. The golf club sounded them every time lightning was spotted so that golfers could get to safety.

Needless to say, I felt pretty silly. It thankfully was a very long time before I actually heard the real tornado sirens– and I never did see an actual funnel cloud.

6. Sharon Hill March 19, 2015 at 7:24 pm #

hi Debbie, I am new to GIS and am listening to podcasts from last year while I, once again, downsize my scrap room. The “critter in the freezer” had me laughing, especially the story about the mystery ducks, which reminded me of a long-forgotten story about a “mystery” package in our freezer. Waaay back in the 70s I bought my kids a simple aquarium and also some pricey, at least for those days fish. I think the most expensive was a whopping $2.50 so we’re talking big bucks here. The day after we set up the fish tank, one of those very small but expensive Nemos was found belly up. No big “flush it down the toilet funeral” for this one – instead, he was wrapped in reynold’s wrap and plopped into the freezer until I could take his tiny carcass back to the pet store and exchange him for one whose gills actually worked. Time went by and the little guy was forgotten until years later when I was cleaning out the freezer. My reaction, to the horror of my kids, was that we’d be having fish for dinner.

• Debbie Hodge March 27, 2015 at 7:43 pm #

thanks for sharing your own fun stories Sharon!

1. Remember when…?–The storm - February 3, 2014

[…] have some photos to accompany your stories, you can also check out Debbie Hodges weekly podcasts of Give your Photos Stories. Last week’s episode was also about big storms, so you might get even more […]