interview by Amy Kingsford
GIS Username: cpanther57
Joined: September 2009
Most Active In: Your Life Thru the Lens and Building Pages
Alum of: Fun Photo Effects, Your Life Thru the Lens, Building Pages
Cheryl’s Blog: Cheryl McCain Photography
Cheryl McCain is a wife, mother, grandmother, chief cook and bottle washer. She and her husband Gene live in Northeastern Ohio where they’ve had more than their share of snow and icicles this winter. Cheryl is an LPN and works per-diem in a Nursing Home. She has 2 sons, 1 daughter and 5 grandsons who range in age from 5 months to 11 years old. Along with her two spoiled-rotten furbabies, Boo and Boss, they are often the subjects of Cheryl’s layouts.
Cheryl is passionate about photography which goes hand-in-hand with her passion for scrapbooking. She is a digital scrapbooker and a designer for her stores, Create Treasured Story Books and Studio 2 Designs, which you can find out more about in the Get the Word Out forum here at GIS. She also designs for The Nifty Boutique. In her free time Cheryl also enjoys reading, cooking, gardening, camping, and watching mushy love story movies, not necessarily in that particular order!
When we caught up to Cheryl to ask her about her scrapbooking, here’s what she had to say!
- I started paper scrapbooking in 1996 with a group of women from our Church. I continued paper scrapbooking until about 2001 when I found digital scrapbooking, and now I’m totally digital. I do, however, LOVE to work on altered projects.
- Most of my layouts are of or about my grandchildren. I did, though, recently begin an album about myself. I’m going to have an album printed for each of my children about my life before I was their mother. I scrapbook as often as I possibly can—usually in my upstairs scraproom/office that was once a spare bedroom.
- I don’t think I have one particular style, I love making changes and trying new techniques.
- Since I’m a digital scrapbooker, my stash holds Photoshop CS3, Fotofusion, tons of my own kits, as well as the ever-growing digital supplies I’m buying from Designer Digitals.
- My wish list would definitely include: 1. Saving money to take MORE classes here at GIS; 2. A housekeeper and chef so I’d have even MORE time to scrap (won’t happen in MY lifetime), and 3. Perhaps a bigger and faster laptop so I could scrap while watching TV with hubby (and I doubt that’ll happen either). But a gal can wish, can’t she?
- I want to learn to use Adobe Illustrator. I’m currently taking a class for it but still have a ways to go before I’ll master it.
- I’d have to say that I get my inspiration from nature. I LOVE my flowers and even using them to design with. I’m a “natural” colors gal.
- I love ALL the classes I’m taking at GIS but if I have to choose just one, I’d have to say it’s Debbie’s “Building Pages” class. I’ve learned soooo much from that class and even see layouts in a different way now.
- Choosing just one layout as my favorite was really hard. But if I have to choose just one, it would have to be the layout I did of Aiden, my 2nd youngest grandson, “Innocence in the Eyes of a Child.” I absolutely loved this particular lesson of Debbie’s and the kit I chose to use went so very well with the photo, which truly portrays innocence in children
Thanks Cheryl for giving us a peek into your life, I know that I certainly enjoyed learning all about you and I’m sure the rest of this bunch is excited as well!