Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #3 Repetitions

by Debbie Hodge

imageUnity refers to how the parts of a design come together as a whole. If the elements on a scrapbook page look like they belong together (as opposed to having been collected and placed randomly) you have unity. In the quest for a design with unity, the WHOLE design is more important than any element or grouping in it.

Including repetitions is a good way to work toward achieving unity on a page

Click here to read lesson 3

So what kind of repetitions are you already using? Are there some “formulas” or tried-and-true approaches you find yourself using frequently. Tell us about them – link us up to your pages.

Did you find this page via an online search or a link from a friend?

This lesson is part of a 12-lesson course called “Design Principles for Scrapbook Pages.” Click here for the complete class.

25 Responses to Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #3 Repetitions

1. Stefanie May 28, 2010 at 2:09 am #

I am really enjoying these lessons. even though it it is stuff I have haerd before seeing you put it all together in such a fresh way, with numerous examples is a delightful way to revise and to remember how to add the details onto a page to make them really stand out.
    Thanks.

2. Marcie_H June 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm #

Debbie, these are really good! Event though I’ve been scrapbooking for awhile it’s a nice reminder to keep things basic in design. Thanks for sharing so many examples that really helps!

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

3. Melanie June 5, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

These lessons to be so well organized and clear, just full of great information, especially for someone like me who has no internal sense of design, color, flow, etc. My project is taking Christmas pictures from 1975 to 2002 and putting them in one book. There will be several years on each page, with one or two photos per year, many of them not of good quality. I am having trouble putting this together. There’s not really a focal point or something to emphasize because each picture carries equal weight. Has anybody out there tackled a similar project? I would appreciate input. Thanks for the great lessons!

• Karen Keiper June 11, 2010 at 12:37 am #

hi melanie,

i am only new to all this so feel free to ignore all advice i give!!! but i was told from a friend to try and keep your pics all the same size (or very similar) and this will bring them together. its repetitoin again i guess. and just remember when people look at your albumm they wont be picking out the blurry photos they will be enjoying memories. good luck.
      Karen

• Debbie Hodge June 13, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

Hi, Melanie, Hopefully the last 5 lessons in the series will help with this. I’m thinking a design with some generous white space might be the ticket for you. As we move along, let me know what you’re thinking. Your focal point doesn’t have to be a photo — it could be the photo grouping nicely set off against the background and embellished.

4. Cal June 8, 2010 at 3:36 am #

Another great lesson, thanks! I’m going to use some of these ideas to help create unity in an album I am working on. I’d had some ideas but wasn’t sure if they would work, but now I believe they will!

5. Meredith June 12, 2010 at 12:29 am #

Thank you for another great lesson. More food for thought! Making me think about my pages and what I am trying to achieve.

6. Dulce Silva June 27, 2010 at 4:28 am #

More one lesson I really enjoy, Debbie. You make so easy design a page. I’m know looking for same nice repetition in my pages and that visual triangle, I became a really fan of that.

7. Zakirah July 1, 2010 at 11:40 pm #

I’m really enjoying these lessons!

I’ve been digiscrapping for almost 3 years now, but my page always look imbalance and mish-mashed to me. I always struggle with multi-photos layouts because I don’t know how to create unity with all the photos on one page.

When I look at the stunning pages on Scrapbooks etc and CK, I always wonder how did they achieve the balance and most importantly, how did they embellish their pages (pages with lots of embellishments) without losing the balance, emphasis and unity.

Thank you so much for these lessons, they’re very helpful!

• Debbie Hodge July 2, 2010 at 11:11 am #

I’m really glad you found us. I think once you understand these basics it all gets easier.

8. helen August 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

hi there!! i think repetition is something i’ve been doing, like using the same elements, in different sizes or colors, to tie all the pages of my minibook together. very interesting notions to keep in mind while working on a layout. thanks

• Debbie Hodge August 17, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

hi, Helen. I love how most of these things we understand at some unconscious level without being taught.

9. grambie August 17, 2010 at 7:15 pm #

This is a special lesson for me. Repetition is a favorite for me when I am scrapping so I’ve really enjoyed knowing that at the least I have this part right. I am a scrapper by proxy as a part of my Occupational Therapy. My major problem is color, and I can’t wait to get to that chapter. Your lessons are clear and distinct, and I look forward to each e-mail. I will definitely print these lessons out. Thanks again for another informative treat.

• Debbie Hodge August 17, 2010 at 8:17 pm #

You are so welcome. Repetition is really my touchstone when I’m designing pages, too.

10. tape August 25, 2010 at 6:28 am #

I do repetition, often with visual triangles, all the time. Here I repeated circles/scallops and colours: http://www.digitalscrapbookplace.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=367689

11. Annie Savidge September 23, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Hi! Loved the article. I think this is something I’ve felt instinctively but now I feel like I have better tools for accomplishing it. Thanks,

I don’t want to embarrass you, but there is a mistake in your article you might want to correct. Wuthering Heights was written by Emily Bronte. Her sister, Charlotte, wrote Jane Eyre.

• Debbie Hodge September 23, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Thanks for the correction! I appreciate it.

12. Leath February 14, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

as a beginner I am finding each lesson clear and helpful
    thanks

13. Carol March 12, 2012 at 9:51 am #

Hi Debbie,
    I just want to comment on the page with the kite! The stitched look in the
    sky was what caught my eye and made the picture real. Every time I read
    your lessons and view your pages I want to dive right in to a page of my own!
    I am currently working on a memory scrapbook of my Aunt for my mom. The
    first scrapbooking I have done. You have helped immensely . Thank you

• Debbie Hodge March 13, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Hi, Carol, I love hearing that this is inspiring but, even more, that you’re doing this work to remember your Aunt.

14. Phyllis March 27, 2012 at 11:56 am #

I have always worked on a scrapbook page until it “Looked Right”
    Now I have principles to guide me and I can do it faster because I know what I am looking for and why.
    Phyllis

• Debbie Hodge March 28, 2012 at 7:45 am #

I know just what you mean — that’s how I felt as I understood these things.

15. Zalina Zakaria January 29, 2013 at 6:34 am #

Thank you so much Debbie, your article is really inspiring me…as a beginner its help me a lot?