Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #6 Balance

image

What are the balancing acts in your life right now?

Are you trying to get enough exercise to feel good about that big ice cream cone you had last night? Maybe you’re balancing saving and spending money. Perhaps you’re getting up a little earlier so that you’ll be done with work in time to spend time with family or friends.

Balance is about mixing and matching, giving and taking. It’s about placing two small stones on one side of the scale to balance the single large stone.

When the different parts of your life are in balance with one another, your days are easier to navigate. When the parts of a scrapbook page are in balance with one another, you’ve got a page that’s pleasing to look at and that tells your story well.

Click here to read Lesson 6

That wraps up the lesson on balance. The next one you’ll receive covers the final design principle in this class—Flow. After that, we’ll move onto the five page parts: journaling, photos, title, embellishments, and canvas.

Did you find this page via an online search or a link from a friend?

This lesson is part of a 12-lesson course called “Design Principles for Scrapbook Pages.” Click here for the complete class.

14 Responses to Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #6 Balance

1. Ami June 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

Thanks, now I understand better than ever before. The description of an axis is exactly what I needed to help me with understanding balance.

2. Glenys July 26, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

Thanks again Debbie, very informative!

3. ~SugarJen July 31, 2010 at 3:44 pm #

I remember some of this from building pages, but this is really in depth

4. grambie August 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm #

All I can say is WOW. This lesson is extremely informative. Your visual and written descriptions that include the axis is the first time for me in any digital scrapbooking class. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and kindness through these classes. (I guess I will have to get my pennies together so that I can take your other classes when this one ends.)

5. tape September 3, 2010 at 7:31 pm #

Ok, now I understand why one of my recent pages doesn’t seem quite balanced…

6. Angela R March 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

I remade a layout while trying to keep the design principles I’ve learned so far in mind. As I began I wasn’t sure it was making a difference but the time I was done, I was fairly certain the second layout was better. The before:

and the after:

• Debbie Hodge March 23, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

this layout is a great study for applying principles of balance. i do like the 2nd best.

7. Patricia March 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

Dear Debbie,

Thanks for another wonderful class. The description of the axis is very useful. Can’t wait for the next class. Thank you and as always, take care.

Patricia

8. Mandy April 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

This lesson has been very helpful. Balance is not something I’ve understood before. The list about general guidelines to do with elements weight was an eyeopener…. Thankyou so much, I’m learning a lot. :)
    Mandy

9. Thom Trybus May 27, 2011 at 2:08 am #

I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn the scrap-booking biz. I recently went to the Depot, which now is not a totally guy thing, as today’s hardware stores are more fun to shop at actually, with more of you pretty gals about ’em… And after a few distractions, I noticed that they sold an assortment of patterns of the old fashioned tin ceiling panels we used to see in all of the old corner drugstores “back in the day”. They always had many possible applications besides fitting together to make a cool Victorian style ceiling covering, and I am going to use a few of the available panel patterns (which come in several different colors these days) to cover my scrapbooks! Ta da! Gonna work for me anyway, as it seems like a good time saver. My previous plans were to take the time to draw out some nice patterns, and tediously stamp them out in pewter and then colorize the work with enamel paints to embellish the covers… Maybe go that way at another time eh? Just for something to do that is cool that is uniquer? What do you think?Thom.

10. Tamra Millikan June 12, 2011 at 9:37 am #

Thanks for putting this lesson together. I learned many things about balance I had not thought of before.

11. Kathy April 14, 2012 at 11:30 am #

This whole series has been so helpful. I’ve read many items about design principles but everything you say is so clear and easy to understand/apply. The diagrams you used in this lesson are so clear that I will be able to see them in my mind as I am designing a page. What a nice gift. Thank you!!