This lesson is about your scrapbook page journaling–and getting it onto the scrapbook page with smart use of layout design principles.

Click here to open Lesson 10.

What are your typical approaches to incorporating journaling on your pages? Do you have favorite techniques  for rendering and placement? Is there anything new here you might try?

P.S. Look for Lesson #11 in your inbox in a few days!

Did you find this page via an online search or a link from a friend?

This lesson is part of a 12-lesson course called “Design Principles for Scrapbook Pages.” Click here for the complete class.

, ,

15 Responses to Design Principles for the Scrapbook Page: Lesson #10 Journaling and Design Principles

1. Verona Highsmith June 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm #

I’ve enjoyed your pages each week and am saving them, to refer to when I get back to scrapbooking. I’m sorting pictures now by decades. (We have been married over 50 years.) I want to do a book of my life. And then something of my two children’s early years. I’ve done three scrapbooks and I very much enjoyed the process. I especially like your good ideas on journaling today. Thank you so much for giving us this free class.

• Debbie Hodge June 24, 2010 at 9:39 pm #

you’re welcome. I love hearing how you’re putting it to use.

2. Martha Beck July 5, 2010 at 11:08 am #

I am loving this series on scrapbooking, it is just what I needed. I did not get lesson 9 on photos in my email and when I click on it from the email for lesson 10 it brings up lesson 8, Page Parts. Where can I get lesson 9? Thanx again for this awesome resource for simplifying scrapbooking for me.

3. Rosa July 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm #

I am loving these lessons…only thing about this one, specially since it’s about journaling, I would love to be able to read the journaling. Thanks for all the ideas :)

• Debbie Hodge July 11, 2010 at 8:50 am #

that’s a agreat point about the journaling — i’ll put it on my todo list to link to larger versions or else the get journaling in a footnote.

4. Susan Rowsey August 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

Hi Debbie,
    These lessons are great. I have read over them quickly but plan to go back over in detail.
    My question has to do with the actual typing of the journaling. Are there tricks for doing this especially if you want to do something other than just using a separate layer of blocked typing. I am not into digital yet and would rather for now use my computer for the journaling. Hope I am making sense. Thanks for any help you can give.

5. grambie September 7, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

I realize that journaling is an integral part of a layout. How often do we asked the question when we are viewing old photosbooks and say, “who is that person”? Again, the visuals reinforce the written lesson, and I can only profit from your individual scrapbooking lessons. Thanks again for giving.

6. tape September 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

I usually just type directly on the page background, using alignment to tie it in with the other page elements. Thanks for the ideas – I might try shaped journaling now that I have the full version of Photoshop.

7. Patricia April 9, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Hi Debbie,

Journaling has been one of the most difficult techniques to include in my scrapbooking. My pages always have a title and people are usually identified, but I never write out a story or anecdote. The most I’ve used may be tags or strips. But now you have given me great ideas on how to approach this technique in a more creatie way. Thank you so much. Take care.

Patricia

8. Supreedha January 30, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Hello there! :D
    Thank you for sharing these with us ;)

• Debbie Hodge January 31, 2012 at 10:25 am #

Hi, and welcome :) So glad your’e finding these helpful.

9. Carol M October 1, 2012 at 3:59 pm #

Debbie – on some of these journaling techniques you must be using a 12 X 12 printer? Or are some of the examples digital layouts? I journal extensively on my pages/albums and I am always looking for new and exciting ways to incorporate even short travel essays. Thanks!!!

• Debbie Hodge October 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm #

Hi, Carol, I do have a 12 x 12 printer — which I love. It’s a lot of fun to add printing and digi elements to the canvas. And I make lots of digital pages.

1. Sunday Sunshine, vol. 8. - February 26, 2012

[…] {original image credits: words, record player, books, camera, pen} […]