Double Up #1: 2-Page Layout Ideas

by Debbie Hodge

Double Up is a new regular column at Get It Scrapped. In each Double Up, I will share:

1. a two-page layout
  2. design analysis of what makes this two-page design work
  3. sketch
  4. layered template

(I’d love to feature readers’ pages in this column, contact me if you’re interested in getting a sketch ahead of time!)

Check out how the following are implemented on “Have A Heart” and then try these strategies for your two-page layout designs:

• Create an inner canvas custom-sized to your photo grouping. The pink-matted canvas here has the exact size and proportions my photos need. It sits solidily across both pages, uniting them and making clear that the entire layout is one rectangle rather than two side-by-side squares.
  • Draw the eye into your canvas with white space. Leaving planned, empty space around your page’s content reduces clutter and makes it easier to look at and understand.
  • Use a grid to organize cropped 4×6 photos. Fill in the empty spots with patterned paper cut to fit.
  • Use a variety of horizontal lines to lead the eye across both pages. Here, the zigzag stitching at top and bottom are the most obvious lines. Just as important and effective is the broken line that begins with the strip between the large photo and title and ends beneath the journaling. Because these two partial lines use the same colors, ribbon, and papers, the eye jumps across the gap from left to right.
  • Imply an outline of the inner canvas with papers, stitching, and embellishments outside of it. Leaving parts of this outline incomplete makes the page more energetic as the viewer’s eye mentally completes the shape.
  • Save time by printing 8×10 blocks that need only edge trimming and mounting. In “Have A Heart,” the two photos on the left and the title are all one unit. Paper strips layered over the break between the two photos make them look like separate pieces, and drop shadows and texture added to the title give it dimension.
  • Balance the visual weight of each page. The large photo carries the same visual weight as the group of smaller photos.

Download pdf of sketches with measurements – for 12×12 and 8.5×11

Download layered template – for 12×12 only

, , , ,

10 Responses to Double Up #1: 2-Page Layout Ideas

1. TamiTaylor July 19, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

awesome!!

2. scrapwil338 July 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm #

Great sketch. Love the finished LO. Thanks.

3. Lori July 19, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

Great article and template, but the “layered file” is not a layered file–there is only a pdf and a jpg when I unzip.

• Debbie Hodge July 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

Lori! I am so sorry. Thanks for the post. I appreciate the heads-up! It *should* work now!

4. Sir Scrapalot July 20, 2010 at 6:34 pm #

These are such useful design tips for making 2 page layouts work. I usually struggle with making a 2 page layout look coherent, but I am thinking these tips will help.

Thanks,
    Aaron

• Debbie Hodge July 20, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

Thanks for the comment, Aaron! And happy 2-page scrapping :)

5. Sudie July 22, 2010 at 8:09 am #

What a wonderful resource for two page layouts! I want to get back to my 2 pagers.

Debbie, thanks for the inspiration and encouragement! Great design.

Sudie

6. Kait July 28, 2010 at 9:26 am #

I am so happy that I “discovered” your blog. I love, love, love your explanations and analysis of what makes a good design concept. The fact that you provide the digital templates is icing on the cake. Keep up the fabulous work.

7. Bonney October 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm #

This series has some great design tips and template ideas for double pages. I do a lot of these because I’ve started scrapping all, or at least many, of my old photos. I suddenly realized that your ideas for single pages might not always carry over to double pages. Thanks, this is a wonderful site.