Interview by Amy Kingsford
Beverly Schweppe was born and raised in Missouri and moved to the Kansas City area in 1986. She has been happily married for 22 years and has 2 boys, Tanner (19) and Corey (16). Bev has been a SAHM for the last 7 years and is currently considering rejoining the work force. On an average day she can have anywhere from 3 to 8 boys hanging out around her home…what a handful! She loves taking pictures of her boys and the many sports they’ve competed in throughout the years. She also enjoys researching her family’s genealogy and hopes to complete a heritage scrapbook someday.
Here’s what Bev had to say about her memory keeping activities:
- Even as a young girl I’ve always taken pictures and kept ticket stubs, flyers, bumper stickers, newspaper clippings, etc. I actually tried my hand at paper scrapbooking in 2006. I did a 12×12 book on my son’s baseball season. At the same time I started digital scrapbooking. I fell in love with digital.
- I mostly scrapbook my family. I scrap the present, and when I have time I work backwards with older photos.
- I scrapbook at my computer that actually sits in the living room so I’m always around the family, even when I’m scrapping. Sometimes that’s a good thing and sometimes it can be a little distracting, but I’m always available to my family this way.
- I’m an exclusively digital scrapper. I like to use lots of pictures on a page. I usually scrap an event or something the boys are doing. I bounce around a lot, sometimes I use templates, sometimes I’m into blending, and sometimes I like clean straight lines.
- I love using staples, solid paper, and tags for dates, in my los. I also like to look for different fonts to try out.
- The three scrapboooking things I wish for most are: 1) I need more RAM for my computer; 2) I could use another external hard drive; and 3) I’d also like Lightroom for adjusting my pictures.
- One day I’d like to try making my own cards. I enjoy sending cards to family and friends for all occasions so to make them myself would be really nice. I’m also in need of embellishment placement guidance. I hear there is a class here at GIS for that!
- I get most of my inspiration from blogs and websites.
- My favorite GIS class….that’s a tough one. I am really enjoying all of the classes here, as they are so versatile. I am learning so much about my camera from Katrina’s classes (The Very Basics and Your Life: Captured through the Lens) The Very Basics class led me to GIS. There is so much to just soak up here. I’m reading and printing everything. And I love the free class from Debbie Hodge, “Scrap your Story.” Before reading those lessons I had pretty much left myself out of all pictures and scrapbook pages.
- Picking a favorite layout is hard, but I think I have decided today that my favorite layout is from last year’s vacation. We took 6 boys and went to Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas. The layout isn’t very creative but it makes me smile and reminds me of how much fun we had. We have be going here for vacation for about the last 23 years.
Thanks Bev for sharing a little bit about yourself. It was such a pleasure to interview and get to know one of our newer, yet highly motivated members. Bev is a perfect example of how much fun you can have keeping memories, when you simply dive right in! I hope to continue to get to know you better in the future and look forward to taking many more classes with you here at Get It Scrapped!