How to Make Patterned Transparency Triangles in Photoshop

Scrapbook page by Corrie Jones -- and video tutorial for digiscrap lift.

by Debbie Hodge

I interviewed Corrie Jones for Masterful Scrapbook Design recently and among the many details on her pages that we admired and wanted to lift were the wonky-cut transparency triangles bordering the bottom of her page.

In this video tutorial, I show you how to cut the triangles, create and shadow tranparencies or vellum, 3 sources for patterns to add, and a step-by-step for getting all of this done.

13 Responses to How to Make Patterned Transparency Triangles in Photoshop

1. Tambur April 19, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

Amazing. You make it look so easy. One day I will give digital a go. For now I am just going to keep on watching your great tutorials. Thanks a bunch!

2. tawyn April 20, 2013 at 1:18 am #

What a great look – I played by stamping some white brushes too and it was super simple.

3. Lady Bug April 20, 2013 at 6:01 am #

Great tutorial!! What software do you use to organize your supplies?

Thanks.

• Debbie Hodge April 23, 2013 at 8:52 am #

I use ACDsee. and I put things in categories (rather than tagging them).

• Lady Bug April 23, 2013 at 10:49 am #

Thanks for the info, Debbie. It looks pretty cool when you use it. I’ll do a little investigating.

4. Linda April 20, 2013 at 9:48 am #

What a cool technique — thanks for showing us how to get that effect in digital, Debbie!

5. Melissa Shanhun April 23, 2013 at 12:28 am #

Hmm, PSE doesn’t have the polygon tool – BUT you can use a polygonal lasso tool to create your triangle.

Also, we don’t have layer knocks out shadow, but I use this method

I hope this is helpful for the PSE users :)

Melissa

6. Jana Oliveira April 24, 2013 at 9:25 am #

But could you take the mask and cut the triangle from there because the mask already has a transparency style

• Debbie Hodge April 24, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Hi, Jana, the mask doesn’t have a transparency style. It has a transparent background—-meaning the only thing there is the positive of the design. So if you cut a triangle from a woodgrain mask you’d there’s be no vellum behind it — you wouldn’t be able to get the subtle edges of the triangle.

7. Jana Oliveira April 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Oh ok got it I thought this were like transparencies already I don’t have any masks have to buy some

8. Jana Oliveira April 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm #

Who makes this wood grain again?