Use this 8-step formula to make easy scrapbook pages. Cluster your single photo with patterned paper pieces to create a square block. Mount it on your square canvas, and then mat it with a 1″ border as Celeste Smith has done, and you’ve got a classic design that focuses on your photo while incorporating patterns and colors that set tone and support subject.
How to make this layout
- Crop your photo to 4″ x 6″ and add a narrow white frame or mat.
- Create a square collage of photo and patterned papers. Use a tone-on-tone strip below the photo to accommodate journaling.
- Mount this collage in the center of a patterned paper canvas. Select a low-value tone-on-tone patterned paper that lets your blocked arrangement pop.
- Trim patterned paper canvas by 1″ on all sides and mount on a contrasting solid (a dark value will provide great contrast).
- Add titework at bottom right of photo.
- Add journaling to the piece below your photo.
- Embellish with three pieces (label, large flower, button) at bottom left of photo.
- Add stitching on three sides of block (optional).
- Using Basic Print Patterns on Scrapbook Pages
- 6 Ways to Keep a Blocked Scrapbook Page Design Fresh
- Ideas for Mixing Patterned Papers on Scrapbook Pages