CalvinBall Preparations

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Skippydoo

Skippydoo

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Disney Parks, Sci Fi, scrapbooking, art journaling, travelers notebooks,

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

I feel like I have been waiting for CalvinBall for ages.  This is my 2nd year and it was a highlight of my scrapbooking year in 2017.

I have been so excited waiting for it to come I started making some preparations in January.  

Here are some of the things I've been prepping:

• stocked up on adhesive
  • got my punches out and have been punching all kinds of things and knocking down my scrap paper stockpile
  • got my diecutting machine out and made some diecuts
  • made some embellishment clusters
  • ordered pictures
  • stocked up paper for my Sprocket printer

But I have more still to do.  What have you got on your list for CalvinBall preparations?

• DebbieHodge and Linda S like this

calvinball.gif post-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

#2 DebbieHodge

DebbieHodge

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 6,842 posts
  • Interests:writing, scrapbooking, family & friends

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

I need to clear the deck of some pressing work so that I have time to SCRAPBOOK!

• mshanhun likes this

#3 TinaCampbell

TinaCampbell

knows where the cookies are

• REGISTERED
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, Cardmaking, Project Life, Smashbook, Genealogy, Birdwatching, Weekend Getaways

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:28 PM

I too need to clear off my desk some to get ready :) I've got lots of photos to scrap so no need for any printing :) and a lot of old counterfeit kit challenge kits to go through so lots of paper hanging around :) I've got a few Dec Dailies I would love to finish during this month :)

Tina

Tina :) 

Tina's Scrap Corner, my blog

Lasting Memories, design team member

Jo's Scrap Shack, design team member

calvinball.gif

#4 CMartin88

CMartin88

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:40 PM

I'm been getting ready for a while too!

I have gone back to 2002 to work (play) on my Glacier Park Scrapbook. No not a vacation since I worked there for the whole summer, so loooots of photos. I even talked a few of the Jammer drivers to allow me to use their photos. They went all over the park. I am using 12 x 15 album to accommodate my panoramic photos of the park. I usuallyI can get 3 of those on a page when I use that size of Creative Memories Pages, Page Protectors, etc. So great to have a challenge to kick me to get this done!

Here a few things on my prep list I've been doing:

* Told my hubby I was looking at Calvinball this year as a participant ( I was a Lookie Lou last year). His comment was "Well... Go for it!"

* I quit my job ( well not for Calvinball but it sure helps to have more time at home)

* Using the pages 12 x 15 I purchased in 2014 CM so I know I have enough supplies such as pages page protectors, but I started with chronological photos I printed back in 2002

* I used pizza boxes cut to 12 x 15 size so when I want to place the photos, embellishments, and add Journaling I can move them around easier, then I stack them with my pages. Some are started so to get the sequence right (the clean part from Freschetta pizza since they wrap their pizza in plastic)

*  Cooking & Menus ~  I add two extra servings so I can freeze them for the Calvinball menu for March. Cleaned up the old crock-pots to prep soups and whole chickens.

* Laundry ~ hand washing every day so I won't have to go to the laundry mat next month for an all day project. It takes me another day or two to put it all away.

* I moved a few long overnight medical appointments to April ~ need time at home for Calvinball.

* Researching on the internet for places I forgot since 2002 so I can spend time on the pages not researching. I love researching so want to spend lots of quality time on it, ex.  The name of the various mountains in the 7 different locations to visit when I stayed in each one to train my 16 accountants who worked for me on location. (loved getting paid to travel in the park!!!)

* Journaling all the memories that come to me as I look at the photos again.

* Added all the photos I found before I started prepping for Calvinball to the already prepped pages, over 100 in a box that I thought was only duplicates, found out that none were duplicates. So back to rearranging the photos etc. So glad I found them now than later.

* Journal prep ~ I keep a notebook anywhere I can think of to write down memories, they seem to just flood my brain at the oddest times. I put one by my bedside, in my backpack when I leave the house, scratch pads all over the house with pens attached, scrapbook room. When I get "hit" by these memories it's like I am right there again, all my senses come on line so for me it's the best time to capture the memory.

* Watching how-to videos to learn about new-to-me vocabulary or language for Calvinball: Blogs, Instagram, twitter, P.S. = Photo Shop, how to add Calvinball blinkies, podcasts, GIS, etc. I know what they are, I need to learn how to use them.

* Making a list of new rules to suggest and comments for the forums to start a new thread???

* Printed photos of 2016 to use for PL when I need a break from traditional scrapbooking.

* Purchased adhesive refills, PL pages online, making lists of what to purchase when I get to go the city and shop in-store. I live in an rural area so the city is over 6 hour drive from home. Bookmarked which stores have which for the sales and coupons to print and take with me. ( I don't have a phone to use for the coupons, yet)

* De-cluttering my scrapspace constantly since this part seems to be the messiest,,, getting ready.

* I have my non-paper craft ready; in a box with all the supplies gathered in one place.

* Making a list so I can choose what to take with me on my trips I couldn't reschedule; prepping my photos for online pages at Shutterfly ( we keep all our photos on the NAS, then only keep the current photos on our Macs then delete) List of which videos to watch, PL on my tablet, List of podcasts and the list goes on. Our fist appt is March 1st, Oh no...lol

* Producing more distilled water this month so less time distilling in March. ( we recently purchased it so this is a fun project to get more done)

* Watched all the Calvinball prepping videos from NicolleJones911 and Katie Scott I could find on the internet for traditional scrapbooking

* I am getting my paper plates out to use in March. less hand washing dishes time   It seems time is of the essence here!!!

* Researched better ways to layout 12 x 15 with panoramic photos but didn't find very many. But I did decide to stairstep my photos on double page spreads for two reasons; no room for embellishments so the stair step pulls the audience to the next page and back, and I have enough room for a title usually spread between the two pages only.  Besides back in 2002 the big deal was stickers stickers stickers...lol

Well I guess I have prepped a LOT.  Hmm...I think I will put this in my PL for the month of February too...lol

• DebbieHodge and Aztam1 like this

Cheryl Martin

Colorado, USA

NIRnPsZ.jpg    bilde_1.jpeg

#5 Lauralove

Lauralove

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

Oh wow you have really prepped! I thought I was good by ordering glue
  • CMartin88 likes this

#6 Katiecb

Katiecb

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:21 PM

I need to make one layout in order to top my highest Calvinball score, so my preparation so far has been to see if the hall where I'm scrapping next Saturday (Calvinball Day 3) has Wi-Fi (it doesn't) and whether I can plug in my laptop (they have the old two-prong style outlets, so I'll have to dig up an adapter.) I will need to make sure my EHD has a set of my photos copied to it, as well as some kits, and I'll be all set.

As long as I can complete at least one layout in those six hours, I'll have my best Calvinball season to date!

After that, it's all record setting for the rest of the month. LOL 

• Marie and Lauralove like this

~ Katie ~

NIRnPsZ.jpg

#7 Clemencia

Clemencia

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

I am glad I am not the only one that needs to clear my scrapbook table lol

#8 DebbieHodge

DebbieHodge

Get It Scrapped! teacher

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 6,842 posts
  • Interests:writing, scrapbooking, family & friends

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

I've gone through all of my 2015 (and end of 2014) layouts and photos and have a list of 87 layouts to make to get those years done. I'd be thrilled if I could get 50 of those pages made in March.

#9 gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind

• REGISTERED
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Memory Keeper.Reader of Books.Homemaker.Zentangle Artist.Amateur Photographer.Follower of Christ.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:51 PM

I need to get some digi kits unzipped and organized as well as start tagging some photos in Lightroom that I'd like to scrap during Calvinball. Otherwise, desk is cleaned off, desktop is cleared, recycle bin cleared out, etc. 

Cheryl Ashcraft

Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs

Pinterest | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

calvinball.gif post-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j  NIRnPsZ.jpg

#10 jedisgirl

jedisgirl

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

i haven't done anything so far and don't really plan to, other than clearing my desk...am currently involved in a challenge-a-day doohickey that has resulted in lots of pages but a boatload of mess!

NIRnPsZ.jpg

#11 JoyceAnn

JoyceAnn

staying on the doorstep

• REGISTERED
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

I'll be scrapping photos from a few years back, something I've vowed lately to do before getting the current ones printed. I've never gotten into kit making so I'm not preparing that way.  I think I can find supplies easily enough. My problem is settling on stuff, so I hope to use this event to just go with it and move on to the next.

• DebbieHodge and Aztam1 like this

#12 Linda S

Linda S

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

I haven't done much to prepare so far, but I am spending today going through photos and memorabilia from a couple of events, trying to put together some page kits. I don't know how much time I'm going to have for scrapping this year, but whatever I get accomplished will be more than I've done in the last six months!
  • DebbieHodge likes this

<p>calvinball.gif     post-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

#13 Gramma Dee

Gramma Dee

• REGISTERED
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

​I have replenished cardstock after the flurry of activity on another board in February.  Will need to pick up some glue pretty quickly.

My room is a mess, but the most recent photos are right on top and I am ready to jump in with both feet!

• DebbieHodge likes this

calvinball.gifbilde_1.jpegNIRnPsZ.jpg

#14 snapsandsnippets

snapsandsnippets

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Scrapbooking, cardmaking, reading, decorating

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:05 PM

I am retroactively declaring my intention that goofing off all of February by reorganizing my not very messy studio instead of scrapping was really mental preparation - clearing my crafty karma for the upcoming Calvinball.  ;-)  Need I do more?

• DebbieHodge and Kelly Prang like this

Susanne

Snaps & Snippets on Facebook

calvinball.gifphoto-thumb-11329.png?_r=1488809346NIRnPsZ.jpg

#15 Marie

Marie

staying for just one cup

• REGISTERED
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

The scrap space is covered in my mother's taxes. The dining table is half covered in sewing machine and items needing repair. The other half is stacked with the girls scrapbooks. I want to take them apart and organize them and look to see where I need to fill in gaps. The coffee table is stacked with my colouring books and markers and crochet stuff. There really is no room to scrap! Sorry Mom! I guess the taxes will have to wait.
  • DebbieHodge likes this

a8591829a06a17d775d7a37314cd45df.jpg

#16 mshanhun

mshanhun

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:03 AM

Umm I've done nothing except pulled out a PILE of layouts to file!

• DebbieHodge, Katrina Forman and Kelly Prang like this

Melissa Shanhun
Digital Scrapbooking HQ

calvinball%2Blogo%2Bmichelle%2B200px%2Bwcalvinball2.gifpost-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

#17 Katrina Forman

Katrina Forman

in the front hall checking out the furniture

• REGISTERED
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Umm I've done nothing except pulled out a PILE of layouts to file!

Hi Melissa nice to see you here too! Maybe we need points for filing our layouts? After LOAD that would be great!
  • DebbieHodge and mshanhun like this
Katrina Lee

[img]http://debbiehodge.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/calvinball.gif
https://i.imgur.com/NIRnPsZ.jpg

#18 mshanhun

mshanhun

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:21 PM

Hi Melissa nice to see you here too! Maybe we need points for filing our layouts? After LOAD that would be great!

Yes!! Let’s add it as a rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melissa Shanhun
Digital Scrapbooking HQ

calvinball%2Blogo%2Bmichelle%2B200px%2Bwcalvinball2.gifpost-11329-0-82386500-1488979584_thumb.j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users