Photo

Katie Scott?

25 replies to this topic

#21 Terry

Terry

mom, wife, golfer, business woman & digi scrapper!

• REGISTERED
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Wow Katie!! You have had such a rough time. Hopefully things will settle down some this summer.

Terry

gallery_11329_466_10002.jpg

#22 LynnG

LynnG

letting the kids jump on the sofa

• REGISTERED
  • 134 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

Sorry I missed this till now - but seeing it today has reminded me that you have a webinar tomorrow and I so hope I can get to it. :-)

That cat story sounds like something that would happen at our house and I love the funny twist you put on it in that email but I can just imagine how stressful and time consuming and just generally 'aaaargh' that must be. Hope you have come up with a solution, or do so soon.

Glad to hear your DD is planning to return to school. If you ever want to offload on someone who has BTDT just message me on FB.

#23 KatieScott

KatieScott

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrapbooking, Picture Taking, Story Telling, Scrapbook Improv-ing, Blogging, Bikram Yoga Practicing, Kayaking, Theme Parking 40 something Mom and Wife who's a Lawyer by Day and a Scrapbooker by Night!

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

I'm still not scrapbooking!  But hope to be soon.

I haven't been on social media much because Allison says that boys who like her stalk my instagram and facebook accounts which is awkward.

Allison is back in her old school, playing on the volleyball team, hanging out with her good old friends, and doing a gazillion times better in the happiness department.  There are still some tween concerns - but overall Yay - Hurray!

Mac is still homeschooling with me and this is still a very time intensive job for me (seriously, if I get up and go to the bathroom - when I get back he is hiding and it takes us about 15 minutes to get back to it - so I try not to take too many bathroom breaks!) - it is, I think, the best thing for him but I have so many concerns and could just spend every minute of the day worrying about it and whether I'm doing the best thing for him.  I think I am, but I also think I could do better by him.  I need to get him into an activity with other kids his age that he actually enjoys - this is such a conundrum.  And I need to figure out how to get him to care - how to motivate him to want to learn - this is a struggle.  He is smart but a reluctant learner and I fear that he is falling behind - especially in writing and science.  I love history so he gets an overdose of that, and I'm actually great with highschool math - so we hit math pretty hard every day and that is an easy thing to feel successful about because it is so objective.

Charlie is still working at the law office - the law isn't what she used to be unfortunately - but all is ok there and we have a good team of people there - but I haven't been in much because of all the mom and homeschooling things, (and it's hard to homeschool and lawyer at the same time  when both need my full attention); so  I've started a side hustle job and I spent the summer immersing myself in learning all about it.

And my sister has come to live with us for a while!

And Charlie's mom, who lives next door to us, is in the hospital for what we hope is a routine-ish thing, but nothing is very routine at 92 - but otherwise she's been healthy and happy.

And Charlie and Allison took the kitty to be adopted by another family; and I cried for about 4 hours.  But our dog, Jessie, never stopped wanting to eat her and we were afraid she would do it - so the kitten is gone and hopefully better off.

And the summer in Florida was the hottest summer of my entire life.  It is crazy hot here.  The tides are higher than they used to be. 

And I've been following all the election coverage.

Ok, that's all for now - can't wait to talk to everyone at the office hours next week.

I'll try to get a layout up before that.

Oh, and also, 2016 is going down as my least photographed, least scrapbooked, least documented year ever!

• LynnG and mfortunato like this

#24 Ladydoc

Ladydoc

doesn

• REGISTERED
  • 651 posts
  • Interests:scrapbooking, podcasting, art, photography, travel, knitting, reading, design, sustainability, anthropology

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hang in there Katie. Lots on your plate right now.

post-11329-0-90384100-1457018789_thumb_zcalvinball_zpsqay1lvvv.gifclickheresmall_zpsu4msbetn.jpg

#25 mfortunato

mfortunato

Marcia Fortunato

• REGISTERED
  • 797 posts
  • Interests:family, scrapbooking, photography, hiking, travel

Posted 12 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Whew! As for the homeschooling, I have a couple suggestions that may or may not help. My boys were always pretty good with being motivated and they sort of fed off each other, but my son Nate had a REALLY hard time when the oldest went away to college. Nate is super smart and a very fast learner and remembers EVERYTHING so that helped, but he really never liked "school" - learning, yes, schoolwork, no. (He graduated from college with a 4.0 but still never loved being there!) What I found really motivated him was that I told him when he finished a subject (ie. the textbook) he was done for the year, regardless of whether that was in January or June. Even though we didn't start until after Labor Day his goal became finishing before his brother came home from college in early May. Some subjects were done by Christmas, others took until May but it really kept him moving along. Worked for my youngest son, too, although he usually took a bit longer. We did also kind of figure out how much needed to be done each day in order to finish by May so they knew where they stood as the year progressed. Might be worth trying something similar?

One other suggestion for the English portion was a course called Analytical Grammar (analyticalgrammar.com). The curriculum was new when my younger three used it (12th, 10th, and 8th grades - the oldest was already in college), but was super easy to follow, very easy to incorporate into our day, and VERY thorough. My boys learned grammar very well (as did I, although regrettably not as well as they did!), and I could tell the difference between those three and my oldest (who is also a better than average writer). The nice thing about it was that it taught grammar the way you typically teach math - very incremental - so it appealed to my mathematical mind. It only took about 30 minutes per day, and yet they learned so much! And it was relatively inexpensive (under $100). As someone who was decent in English but didn't like studying OR teaching it (and who had sons with similar feelings), I highly recommend this.

(Oh, and don't judge the effectiveness of the course by the writing in these past two paragraphs. I was not the most committed student :redface:)

Good luck to you. Homeschooling definitely has its ups and downs, but I'm sure you're doing a great job! So glad to see you back. Looking forward to Office Hours on Wednesday!!

Marcia
mfortunato.blogspot.com
​Instagram - marciamfortunato

#26 KatieScott

KatieScott

repeating stories

• REGISTERED
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:I'm a scrapbooking, Picture Taking, Story Telling, Scrapbook Improv-ing, Blogging, Bikram Yoga Practicing, Kayaking, Theme Parking 40 something Mom and Wife who's a Lawyer by Day and a Scrapbooker by Night!

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hey Marcia - thanks for the homeschool advice - and I just signed up for 3 months of cocoa daisy .

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users